Foster mom and babies

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they would stop growing so fast!
Mom is doing much better, she would get stressed when I cleaned the cage and would move the babies every time, but the last two cleans she has settled and left them in the same place, so I'm very happy with that!
I have avoided naming them as I am undecided if they will be staying with me or going back to the shelter for adoption!

33d58458d38b8b4e4191089acf63c793.jpg

d6c1e2b185a19ae11be4411324e0bf1f.jpg

2 weeks old today! And the first two have their eyes open!

I would love to keep them all but not sure yet.
Having a rough rattie month. This time last month I had 8 seemingly healthy happy rats and now I'm done to 4. I lost two of my girls to pt and another to inoperable tumors. All spayed... I seem to be having worse luck with my spayed girls then my in tact girls- 3 of the 4 remaining. I also lost my boy to pneumonia... he had had several outbreaks of it throughout his life and this time we just couldn't get him to respond to any treatments so we decided to have him euthanized. Been a tough go and I told my husband that I needed a break from rats for a little bit and the next day I got the call from the shelter. The foster mom and babies have given me joy in the last couple weeks and I'm grateful for that but we will see if any are staying, lol!

:( yeah, spaying prevents or helps to prevent mammary tumours but not other types of tumours ...... and helps to prevent estrogen driven pt but not other types of pt (edited for clarity)

I am very sorry for what happened to your ratties
It is so hard to have your heart broken over and over like that

Last edited:
I think SQ means that spaying does prevent mammary tumours.

I'm so sorry of all the issues you've been having. Sometimes rats have the worse genetics.

Well I did pretty good... I only ended up adopting two of the boys!
Introducing Chase and Ryker... I think they are pretty comfortable here[emoji1]
731857b26e31a7371248a8a5b0d1ba2b.jpg

fde353e5566e511383c55e0ccb810c59.jpg

f6513b18d5a74a6f2c975783e13cd6c2.jpg

Back