Fatty ratties help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey_Whiskers

The crew had a bit of an impromptu vet visit today due to some suspicions we might be having a bit of a myco flare-up (plus Skogul's eyes were a bit off and we are still keeping an eye on a honking/grunt noise Skathi sometimes makes when she gets very excited--both have been seen and medicated/treated).

Good news is everyone got the all clear from the vet (with the recommendation of course to keep an eye on things) and it was figured it was either something transient or heat/dryness/dust in the apartment. So I will be getting the air purifier up and running (along with the humidifier) pronto.

Which leaves me with the topic of this thread lol.
My nakie girls are in great body condition, they are cardio nuts however and hit the silent spinner for some serious workouts a couple times a day.

My big ol' fuzzy ladies? They be packing on a bit of pudge.
Not obese, but they're overweight.

As of right now the ladies are free-fed oxbow regal rat, along with supplemental fruits and veggies. They *do* get treats for good behaviour/co-operating with health checks, but it tends to be only the Hagen Heritage dog treats...which I thought were pretty healthy (they do come in three flavours which are apple&cinnamon, blueberry honey&vanilla and peanut butter&banana---the girls most often get the apple cinnamon and the ingredients are brown rice, oatmeal, tapioca, apples, canola oil, cinnamon, dried yeast culture, natural apple flavour, wheat germ oil, rosemary extract) but I guess not XD. Now I'm not going to lie and say they sometimes get yogies or more junky people treats, but it is rare and in teeny portions.

The girls get about 1-2 hours of free range time per night and do have a the 12 inch silent spinner in their single critter nation.

Of course the concern is making sure the nakies get what they need while trying to get the fuzzy ladies to slim down a bit. I was debating stopping free-feeding and only doing scheduled meals, but need a bit of guidance on the how-to. I don't know if it would be possible to cut down on the portions as well, but am open to that.
As well as increasing the amounts of veggies they get.

Thoughts?

That's the only thing that worked for my crew was limiting their blocks. They slimmed down beautifully.
What I used to do was give them 2 HT block a day and 3 Oxbow. But since you are only feeding Oxbow, I'd probably count out 12 Oxbow each so in a bowl each morning or night, give them 48 Oxbow pieces, no more. And their veggies at opposite time of day. Keep their fruits to a very minimum and no more dog treats or any other treats until they slim down some. Get a scale and weigh them once a week. You don't want them losing weight too fast either.

Glad your girls got a clean bill of health! Now on to the "fluffy issue" I always thought you were suppose to leave the block 24/7, but if that's not the case, how many would I leave out for Peanut my slender 1104 gram boy? He lives with Throttle & Axe, that are basically living day to day, and I don't think they eat oxbow anymore just soft food. We have cut back on his fruits and treats already.

Good luck on getting your ratties slimmed down.

dspch911, that's a tough one. If you have an oldie or oldies and they require soft foods, then you can't really do anything there unless you separate the oldies for their food and limit Peanut with his. A rat should get about 3 HT a day, I would start with 4 with Peanut because he's so big. And some veggies too.

Augh I need to respond to these faster---darn life gettin in the way.
So, I cut down to the 12 oxbow kibbles per rat per day with veggies at the other time of day but noticed signs of stress in my nakie girls. So I've upped the kibble amounts a bit (while still making sure there's a good 12 hours between kibble and veggies) and for now I feel we're at a good balance and the fuzzy girls looked to have slimmed a bit.
I'm going to try and see if I can dial it down a little bit now that everyone has adjusted though.

I also realized my fuzzy girls were probably getting a good dose of extra calories and fat from licking my nakie girls after they've gotten their weekly oil massage, so I've started letting them have a 'dry off' free time period after that so that they're not so oily when they rejoin my other girls.

So as a little update:

Everyone is doing well (so hard not give them treats all the time!) both of my fuzzy girls are down about 25 grams each, so Skathi is sitting about 325g and Saga is somewhere around 290 or so. Not quite where I want them to be yet (they still have big squishy bellies), but looking much better and more active for sure.

The nakie ladies are holding up well, though I sneak them extra food and snacks to make sure they don't get too thin.

Back