Escaped rats going to be killed :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a long story so I will make it as short as I can.

My sister found rats in her garage and one, sadly, drowned in her kiddie pool the other day. She says they look just like the rats her neighbor's kids lost while playing with them outside (they are NOT good pet people), plus there are younger ones so possibly they had babies.

My sister loves animals and doesn't want to "exterminate" them, but the neighbors do not care about them and don't want to deal with it. My sister is deathly afraid of rats and when one approached her (which seems like a sign of domestication) she ran away and threw a rock at it. It didn't get hurt.

I have owned rats for years and she knows how much I loved my ratties, but I live in Chicago and don't have $ to travel to Michigan to trap these little guys and see if they are domesticated. If they are, I will gladly take some of them in, but I just don't see a way to get myself to Michigan.

With that being said, is anyone in Michigan near Farmington Hills who would be willing to set up live traps for these babies and try to capture them so they don't get killed? My sister is worried about her two toddlers playing outside, ad she says while she won't kill them, she's always anxious about them and she knows if our dad (the kids' grandpa) finds out about them he will hire an exterminator ASAP. He is there almost every day because my sister is a single mom, so I think this is very time-sensitive.

Anyone??? :bow:

Last edited:
cross posted, hope someone is close enough to help

Can your sister put out a cardboard box (etc) with paper in it and a hole for an entrance
in a safe place for them .... as well as water in a shallow dish and food.

They need food and water and to be kept safe from predators until someone can help them

Last edited:
My sister found rats in her garage and one, sadly, drowned in her kiddie pool the other day. when one approached her (which seems like a sign of domestication)

That poor baby :(

Please ask your sister to either empty her pool when not in use, or to put something into the pool for small animals to get onto thus preventing drowning, whenever the pool is not in use. Small animals often fall into pools and drown when they can not get out, thus there are commercially available products that attach to the side of pools so that animals can climb out of the water.

Yes, you are correct, the rattie was running to your sister to ask for help because it is a pet.
I hope that she will do as I previously suggested, until someone can get there and rescue them

TheoBennyWinston HELP is Available! ........... A friend who does rescue asked me to get you or your sister to contact her.
I pmed you her email address

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I will call her right now with the information about the cardboard box and give her the contract info from the comment above. Thank you!

Back