Cat furniture?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGuardian

I´m wondering, would cat furniture(don´t know what else to call it?) be okay for rats?
And if so, would they actually bother to use it?
Mine climb high no matter what I do, so considering height I wouldn´t see it as worse than climbing the bookshelf or the cage, since both is taller..
Nirvana and Balder tends to climb floor lamps and stuff, so they should be able to climb it..

I would probably cover the levels with something more washable tho..

I´m thinking something like this?
2459_Viola_kattem_bel._35x35x103_cm._1.jpg

They're usually called cat trees or cat towers I think... and yes, why not? A rat that likes to climb will take on pretty much whatever you offer them, LOL. I used to have a small ferret tower that my rats liked, though it got nasty over time and I threw it out.

Moon said:
They're usually called cat trees or cat towers I think... and yes, why not? A rat that likes to climb will take on pretty much whatever you offer them, LOL. I used to have a small ferret tower that my rats liked, though it got nasty over time and I threw it out.
That do sounds more right :giggle:
I´m thinking on covering the levels with water proof sheets, and fleece on top of that again..
Should help at least?
Don´t really want to spend a lot of money on something like that if it´s bad for them..

rhapsody said:
:emb:

How did this never occur to me?!? I've got a couple adventurous climbing girlies, and that would be perfect for them.
:giggle: It have occured to me a good while ago, but I didn´t think it existed anything under 170-200$ that wasn´t just a stick :giggle:
Found several now for around 80$..

I have cat furniture and used to let my rats play on them. Then we had a bout of fleas and I was worried about the flea stuff that I treated it with and their respiratory systems.

Zooy said:
I have cat furniture and used to let my rats play on them. Then we had a bout of fleas and I was worried about the flea stuff that I treated it with and their respiratory systems.
As far as I know, we don't have fleas over here.. Never heard of it anyway..

Man, I wish I lived somewhere with no fleas! ....that didn't come out right. But you know what I mean.

Those deluxe cat furnitures are SO cute.

I'm also thinking of getting something like this for my boys, especially because Socrates is part mountain climber and likes to give me a heart attack by climbing to places that I didn't even think he could reach. Let me know how your ratties like 'em if you decide to do it

fenshae said:
Man, I wish I lived somewhere with no fleas! ....that didn't come out right. But you know what I mean.

Those deluxe cat furnitures are SO cute.

I'm also thinking of getting something like this for my boys, especially because Socrates is part mountain climber and likes to give me a heart attack by climbing to places that I didn't even think he could reach. Let me know how your ratties like 'em if you decide to do it
I will try. It may take a while tho..

I used to have a cat tree specifically for my ratties. They loved it! But it did get nasty after a while, so covering it in waterproofing, then fleece, would be a good idea

My sister uses a cat tree for her rats to climb in and out of their cage. I should take a pic one day.
AWESOME cat trees on that site but very pricey.

If you are crafty its not that hard to make your own. My dad and I built several cat trees for our cats using leftover wood and carpet from when we built the house. They don't look as nice and have a strange slant but they cost us a lot less!

chelshorsegirl said:
If you are crafty its not that hard to make your own. My dad and I built several cat trees for our cats using leftover wood and carpet from when we built the house. They don't look as nice and have a strange slant but they cost us a lot less!
I´m completely useless at building things, so It would probably be so crooked that it either fell over, or the rats fell down :giggle:

I don't know about where you live, MG, but on some websites(and even in some stores, i've seen) in the US and Canada, they have 'Ferret Furniture' which would be great for rats, too. It's made smaller and 'easier to climb' for the rats if you used it for them, because Ferrets are a little smaller then cats... LOL.

Scythe said:
I don't know about where you live, MG, but on some websites(and even in some stores, i've seen) in the US and Canada, they have 'Ferret Furniture' which would be great for rats, too. It's made smaller and 'easier to climb' for the rats if you used it for them, because Ferrets are a little smaller then cats... LOL.
I live in Norway(it says so under my profile pic :stickpoke: )
I haven´t seen ferret furniture anywhere :? .. Just for cats..
Don´t know if it even exists over here :?

Which one of these two would be most suitable for rats?
Alternative 1
or
Alternative 2
I am leaning more towards the last one, because I would have to cover everything that´s plushy..
It would obviously also depend on what room I have, but I haven´t quite figured out where to put it yet..

ETA:
Never mind, I bought at the pet store today

Back