Big Mistake!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have to travel a distance to find someone. Is there a veterinary school in the area? Perhaps they could do it, or have the name of an exotics vet in your area.

So we found out that our awesome vet does neuter but it will cost 250.00 per rat. Yikes! We found another vet a lot further that will do it for 125.00 per rat. Wow! These ratties are expensive!

It depends on the vet. My vet will neuter as young as seven weeks. It depends how comfortable they are with the procedure, etc. If you have just the two boys, I would wait and get them done at the same time.

I scheduled a 1.5 year old boy. The other two babies I will get done at the same time just as long as the first neuter goes well.

125$ for a rat sounds like such a good price for a neuter... My vet charges 170$ after taxes + Metacam. It's less than a 50$ difference but to me that's quite a lot.

I scheduled one of the boys. I hope I don't come to regret this decision.
You really shouldn't keep both unaltered sexes in the same house because it causes undue stress and there will always be the risk of pregnancy, so to me it's not really optional anyway. A neuter, if done through the distal end of the scrotum, is quick and less invasive than abdominal surgery. If they use gas and know what they are doing, it is pretty fast. They will spend more time gassing him down and shaving him than they will doing the actual surgery part.
I consider a neuter much safer than a spay, so you are choosing the less risky of the two.

Back