Benadryl, Myco, advice needed :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long was he on the new baytril/doxy?

They should last for weeks in your fridge though.

He's been on it four days now.

How we usually do it is I pick up the Baytril every ~5 weeks, give or take a day or two because I'm an hour away from the vet. I live in "the sticks" lol.

The doxy apparently expires faster, so I tend to pick that up every 3-4 weeks.

As for the Metacam...well I just get a full bottle each time I go, and refill when needed.

I wonder if t's the fact that I'm only giving him .14mls of the doxy now vs. the .35 he had him on means that he's actually getting more of the meds into his gullet vs. spitting part of the dose out....

Or, you know, maybe it's all a fluke and he's just temporarily well again. Certainly, I know there's no "cure" in his future, but right now he is rooting around his cage and organizing his blankets and bits and knick knacks, lol...which he hasn't done in months. He was even chewing some things earlier...I could hear the "grind grind grind" all the way across the room as he crunched on a wood block.

So, he certainly SEEMS to have improved!

He is also gaining some weight back--I'm giving him a little infant cereal (wheat) a couple of times a day for a boost and it seems to help.

Not perfect, but hey...improvement is good :)

We sometimes get our boys a doxy shot which last for 7 days. Just one less medication to try and get in them. Hope he feels better soon.

More good news!

I wasn't pleased with Gus's weight--he was feeling really bony again there for a bit. So, in addition to the baby cereal I've been giving him a tiny, tiny bit of nutri-cal a couple of times a day.

Happy to say that it's totally resolved his hair loss issues and he's already filling out nice and smooth again :)

He also seems like he has a lot more strength (the med struggle has become much more real, lol...) and is playing more.

For the moment, the only issue left is sneezing and a bit of mild wheezing if he gets really wound up.

Not bad for a rat that'll be three in early March!

That's fantastic Artemissa! So happy to hear the progress Gus has made----thanks to you. You've been doing a great job of hanging in there and finding out what works.

I had no idea it was safe for rats to take benadryl. Now that I know I wanted to add it to my emergency kit for them, but at the pharmacy I could only find children's benadryl, not infants, and the woman working there said that children's is the only kind they make? It's liquid, is this the right stuff? I want to make sure. They also had children's allegra, is that the same stuff?

Yes, it's the children's--check the concentration. Mine says 6.25mg/5ml.

Not sure if allegra would be ok or not, it's a different chemical that is the same type of drug.

Yes, it's the children's--check the concentration. Mine says 6.25mg/5ml.

Not sure if allegra would be ok or not, it's a different chemical that is the same type of drug.

I really think rats are very similar to humans with the disease and medication - obviously too close since they use them for testing. I got my benedryl from the vet.

Back