Baby boys and Pregnant Female

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they were rescued but I have only had them maybe 6 months?? I don't have the bottles anymore so I don't know :-(
My vet told me they don't carry liquid zithro?? (Or maybe it was something else...)
I plan on calling them in the AM when they open. It's just frustrating. They are always sick!
It's hard for anyone to keep track of my babies, I have 12 lol (maybe more with my baby girl preggers)

Well they were rescued but I have only had them maybe 6 months?? I don't have the bottles anymore so I don't know :-(
My vet told me they don't carry liquid zithro?? (Or maybe it was something else...)
I plan on calling them in the AM when they open. It's just frustrating. They are always sick!
It's hard for anyone to keep track of my babies, I have 12 lol (maybe more with my baby girl preggers)

oh ok! with the zithro, even if they dont carry a liquid, most pills can be crushed and mixed with water to make a suspension that you can give to your rats
I know a lot of ppl here have used zithro and doxy combo, maybe PM Jorats for info on how its mixed etc?

you need to keep the boys on the meds for a good 3 weeks and at high enough doses.
so whatever you end up getting from the vet, post here with the concentration and dosage and one of the med experts can tell you if the dose is high enough.

I never remember and have to look it up each time a rat gets sick and then have ppl help me with the dosing *blush* I have major math anxiety.

you can also check the Rat Guide for a list of meds used and which combos work best

http://ratguide.com/meds/

and this too: http://www.rmca.org/Articles/dchart.htm

Some rats end up needing meds basically for life, you can do pulse dosing where they are on the meds, then off for a while and then back on, and I think you can even keep them on meds for the rest of their life if need be.
I think Jorats had a rat who had pulmonary abscesses that was on meds his whole life, and when he died the abscesses were gone! he died of a tiny brain tumor if I recall correctly.

um I was just looking up the length of gestation for rats, it seems it's only about 21 days or so?!?! so she could be having babies any time now, if she is indeed pregnant...?
Never dealt with pregnancy myself so hopefully others who have will come along soon

My vet doesn't carry it either.. Ask them to write you a prescription for it in liquid form and the pharmacist will mix it up for you :) you get a lot too but mine cost $42 to fill it. 15ml in a bottle so should last you awhile if you are just treating the two boys :) as far as dosing I don't know about that.

Lets get back to the baytril. do you remember if you gave it for a week or 10 days? Or 2 weeks or more?

As for your girly, we all have our fingers crossed she's reabsorbing which sounds very likely from her weight patterns. She should be gaining 10 grams plus each day now.

Get your vet to call in a prescription (with several refills) to a pharmacy for you.
Once mixed up azithromycin is only good for 10 days ... so some people only get half a bottle mixed up at a time.

Will do.
Petunia the pregnant rat gained 11g from yesterday

is the rat named Petunia, or did you mean to address this to me? LOL

I don't know anything about pregnant rats and babies hon, but if she's already at 21 days I would think it's only a matter of time that you find out if she is, indeed, pregnant

have you taken her to a vet? very close to the end they can feel the babies in there, I believe. You have to be very careful though, from what I've read because you can harm the babies if you are too rough handling a pregnant rat.
it's good to have a vet on standby in case anything, heaven forbid, goes wrong. ;-)

it can't be too much longer, one way or the other!

She is named Petunia, I guess you can see where I got the inspiration lol :)
Doing the math she has been with us for 2 weeks and three days. So we will see soon!

Here is my list:

20160128_143116.jpg

Hmm momma rats can be stubborn haha do you have a shoe box or something she might use and not have the possibility of misplacing a baby? My momma only wishes her babies would stay in the nest now hahaha driving her batty! Maybe multiple layers of fleece? I'd just keep offering compromises and see which one she accepts ��

Will try it. Here's a pic of her belly. She is soooo active climbing the bars. She has gained grams and then lost them the next day for a few days. She lost 5 grams from yesterday. I'm honestly not sure.

received_10205879915972199.jpg

Last edited:
Paper towel makes good nesting material.
You do not want her to have anything with threads in it as threads can wind around tiny limbs and necks

Back