Alduin is gone, Klaus is alone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oouchie that looks sore :(

Alduin's looked smaller than that and I did gently pick at it but it seemed embedded right into the skin.
Doesn't matter much now but I wonder if it was an old abscess that I missed.

My first thought when I saw it was my Kona (RIP) he was a lumpy boy and had a weird growth like that. When it opened it was still attached interially and had to be surgically removed the next day.

It's alright, I was just wondering what it was and if it affected his health much.

But yes he left for the bridge... he doesn't have to sweat this kind of stuff anymore, that's the good part :) It's just me and Klaus left hurting. We'll be OK though.

Klaus and I are missing Al. The night we got back from the vet Klaus was still high energy and curious, but the next day he was visibly depressed.

He didn't want to come out of the cage on his own. I worked from seven AM until noon and felt bad he was alone all night and morning, so as soon as I got home I cleaned my room and used the playpen to extend the rat-proofing into the living area. I opened the cage door and set up the ladder and everything but he just sat on the shelf and looked miserable. I tried talking to him, coaxing him out with food, initiating play - I even took a nap with the cage still open and left treats on the floor but still nothing.

I got fed up and just picked him up and put him on the floor myself. This woke him up right away - he was running around, using the treat puzzle, hung out in a hide outside the room while I did dishes, etc. Towards the end of the night his butt even started to get bouncy! I quickly made him a digging box with bits of nut inside to entertain him when I went to bed.

But I work a lot and can't be around to do this all day. I hate knowing he's alone and bored when I'm sleeping or at work. I know the best remedy is to get a friend but I really wanted a break after this group... it's not just to be able to save funds again, it's that my heart hurts. I dropped the ball with these guys and wanted some time to pull better resources together.

Is being able to free range at leisure and hang out while I'm home enough, or should I just buckle down and get a friend? I'd like to look into fostering but unsure how that would really work. I guess I don't really know what my options are?

Ideas/advice?

Can Klaus come out once a day for at least an hour?

If so, he'll adapt to your schedule. When Al was with him, he didn't associate with Klaus much as it was, so its not the same as a rat he was totally bonded to, if you know what I mean?

I think he will be OK if you can take him out when you are home. Will he hang out with you on your shoulder, etc? That way he can be with you even if you are just watching TV or on the computer.

Oh more than an hour! He's been hanging out with me while I game or watch TV and if I'm going to be home for a while but need to do chores he gets free run in the bedroom with easy access to the cage for food/water.

I just feel bad that he's alone, but if you guys say he'll be fine hanging out with me then that makes me feel a lot better!

Back