Ace is sick

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing Ace is in such a good home where he will receive excellent care.

If it is an abscess, you may want a vet to surgically remove the entire thing.
I have read that facial, gum, and tooth abscesses can be quite difficult to get rid of.
Hopefully his mouth will heal up as well as Laurel's face did.

If there's a possibility of infection he should be getting abs as well as anti-inflammatory. Do you have Baytril or Clavamox on hand? Poor Ace, that looks so uncomfortable.

Dahlas said:
Oh twitch I hope you aren't upset with me...

heaven's no! i'm not upset with you in the least. this is not your fault. rats get sick. i swear, sometimes they do it just to give their parent's heart attacks... :roll: :giggle: ace is in the best possible hands and i know you will do everything in your power to make him feel better. i'm sure he knows it too and that's why he's not panicking and just chilling with tory. we all have complete faith in you that you will do what is best for ace. :hugs:

Thank you twitch...that helped a lot.....I always worry that I am not doing what other more experienced people would do......I do have Clavamox ...should I give him some? Or wait untill tomorrow to see the vet?

I would personally hold off on the antibiotics. He's acting okay, and he's only having to wait until tomorrow to see the vet. If he was acting different, I'd so go for it, but he's still bright eyed and perky.

If it is an abscess, you may want a vet to surgically remove the entire thing.
I have read that facial, gum, and tooth abscesses can be quite difficult to get rid of.
Hopefully his mouth will heal up as well as Laurel's face did.

I really hope it turns out as good as Laurels did.....I will have done what ever he needs...I am worried because of his age. I can't wait untill tomorrow morning......

Picture63686.jpg

Picture63685.jpg

I just took this one
Picture63724.jpg

Does it look like it's his actual gum, or his lower lip, Dahlas? If it's his lip, maybe it got nipped or something..

I think it is his bottom lip.....I thought at first it was bitten....but wouldn't there be a lot of blood?....would that make it swell?........cause it looks jagged...It is really hard to see. I see about what the pictures show........I think the big bulgy stuff is the inside of his lip swollen.....but the actuall lip itself looks jagged....I just don't know......I can't see and even though he is being very good about not trying to bite....he swirms and struggles and won't let me get a good look....I know it must be very painful......

He is drinking right now and hasn't been pawing at it all day....probably from the metacam.....sees pretty happy...considering.

Can you see his lower incisors? He's able to drink, that's a good thing.

I have seen tumours grow that fast, within 20 minutes, we literally watched a tumour grow from nothing to grape size.
Hopefully, it can be surgically removed and all will be well again for Ace.

It doesn't look to me like an abscess....It looks like a mass of tissue or swollen tissue....I am kind of thinking he might have gotten nipped but I can't understand why there wasn't any blood.....It looks like swollen tissue......Yes I can see his bottom teeth, top teeth and tongue all look good....it is just his bottom lip, inside his mouth by his bottom teeth jaw on the right hand side..........
I hope it is not a tumor and a bite wound that will need antibiotics and pain meds....
If it is do you think a three year old rat can live through a surgery? Whatever I can do I will...
He is getting the royal treatment today...He has everything you can imagine offered to him to eat and drink.........I wish tomorrow would get here soon so I can get him to the vet...Why did today have to be Sunday........

It seems as if all emergencies happen between Friday night and Sunday. Sweet Ace, it sounds like you are doing a great job of keeping him as comfortable as he can be until his vet visit.

Just got back from the vets........Ace was wonderful.....he let the vet look in his mouth, at his tongue and cheek.....never made any attempt to bite....Crawled over to me and put his paws up on me as if to say "pick me up mommy, I don't like this fellow"
The vet was not sure what he was looking at....he hopes it is not skin cancer but that he felt it was a possibility....looks like a sloughthing away of the skin, spot on the tongue and inside his cheek........he gave me antibiotics and said to give him medacam....Ace is going back in on Wednesday so the vet can put him under and look better....we will go from there.........

So we don't know anymore then we knew before.... :gaah:

That is frustrating but it's good to try abs first and see if that helps. So many times I got a doomed prognosis when all along the meds worked their magic.
Sending lots of healing vibes to the sweetest rat ever.

Back