A Few Questions! (from a rat mom to be)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormtail

Hi everyone! I am finally going to become a rat mom, and I’m so excited.

I have a few questions, as I’m a touch confused on a couple of things and want it cleared up before I get my babies.
(they will be housed in a single critter nation)

First, is fleece still recommended as bedding? I’m talking about the sewn fleece liners with an absorbent layer in between to absorb the wicked urine.
It seemed hugely popular for awhile, but now it appears to be almost not recommended. My original plan was fleece liners but I don’t want to do the wrong thing! Opinions, please?

Second, wheels! Should I purchase a 16” metal wheel or not? What is the likelihood that my rats will use it?

Lastly, I CANNOT decide wether to get dwarf or standard rats, or between males and females. Everytime I make up my mind, it changes! Lol.
First I was going to go with female dwarfs, then standard females, then male dwarfs, then standard males, and the cycle continues!
I need to get on a list if I want to get them this year, but I have to decide what I want first...

The hormonal aggression in males is really scary, as a first time rat owner. Those teeth look so painful. I also read that they mark a lot more then females. But they’re also supposedly more affectionate, laid back, and content versus the crazy ladies constantly trying to escape their cages and leaping for freedom! Haha.

I worry a little bit about losing dwarf rats, as they’re so small, but they’re also a bit less intimidating as adults via their size. And oh-so-cute!
I love the tiny-ness of dwarfs, but I also like that it’d be harder for standards to escape or get lost as they can’t fit through gaps quite as small as dwarfs can. A bit sturdier, too, and more rat to hold onto.
I’m just so torn! I love dwarfs, but maybe standards are a smarter choice?

Thank you for reading! :)

Back