Luffy & Simon, Progress Report!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samii

At the beginning I was worried my ratties would never come around, being that I purchased them from the pet store I work. I also was worried they'd succumb to Myco but they seem to be doing well because I was diligent and caught it very early. But now, I have to come and(excuse me), brag, about them because I'm proud of myself and them!

It seems like they've come along way. They wouldn't let me touch them or pick them up in the beginning, they'd just sit quietly in their cage and stay as far away from me as possible. They were skittish and extremely jumpy. Simon would fear poop when I picked him up and Luffy would try and run even when in my arms and they would run away from my hand whenever it went in the cage. But with a lot of treats and positive reinforcement they're coming around expertly, at least in my opinion! I thought I'd share and get more of the rat community's input because it counts! They still have a ways to go, but this is simply a progress report, a recording of where we are and how far we've come.

Simon now comes to the cage door nearly every time I open it and when it's out time he hops up onto my lap for treats and pets if he's in the mood. He still doesn't like to explore but he likes too bu Luffy. I think he's still young and going through rat puberty because he's constantly trying to mount Luffy which has gotten him flipped many times. He's gotta work on it cause it does annoy Luffy, I can tell. Luffy likes to run around and explore and he's constantly being nagged by Simon. :p He's alright with being picked up, but doesn't enjoy it. He tries to escape my hand, but no nearly as badly as in the beginning. Once he's up he seems fine and no longer fear poops. They only time they were fear pooping is when I placed them into the restroom yesterday to do a full clean on their cage. But, I think Simon is going to be the more mellow and cuddly of the two. He tolerates my scratches more than Luffy does and enjoys being around me and treats more than his actual play time.

Now, Luffy. Luffy has been the slower one to come around but he has shown the most excitement from the two. He loves to run around an explore, play with my hand sometimes. He also comes up onto my lap for treats and if I have a blanket draped over my legs while sitting Indian style in their play pen he likes to run around underneath it, which tickles like hell. X3 He's the more outgoing when he's outside the walls of his cage and will explore every inch of his play area, going so far as to escape a couple of times but it seems to me it's purely out of curiosity. Inside his cage he's the more fearful of the two. He likes to stay in the back of the cage and can only be brought to the front with delicious treats. But I have to lure him still while Simon comes on his own free will. Hopefully he'll get better at it. He's doing a lot better with being handled, but he's still frightened. Today, It took him out to hang out with me in his new bonding pouch that I got. When I first brought him out, he tensed up but didn't run away from my hand. He did some, what I believe to be, nervous vibrating in my hands and in the pouch at first. I settled down with him on the couch and he seems to really enjoy the pouch. I let him explore the couch a bit, which he loved. He became very comfortable in the pouch, nearly falling asleep and even doing some bruxing! Which he's done only once before. It's still hard for me to tell whether it's bruxing, but I believe so. The sound of sand being ground between their teeth is what it can be described as. While in the pouch, he was letting me pet his head and shoulders and seemed to enjoy it a little bit cause he was half closing his eyes. In the pouch he was also grooming himself which I interpret as a sign of comfort. I'm still learning to understand their body language though. :)

From what they were, I think they've come along nicely. Your input, advice, suggestions are welcomed! Maybe you guys have some ideas what else I can do to warm them up to me even further, maybe from experience. Anyways, thanks for reading and letting me share! <3

That is awesome. You gave them lots of TLC and I'm so glad that positive reinforcement has really helped. Keep up the great work!

I definitely will!! I could have never imagined how rewarding owning rats could be, especially with all the hard work I put into them. It's really awesome, I know I'll have rats for many years to come. :3

It amazes me how nice rats can be despite the fact they may have had rough beginnings and poor genetics. That's how you know what incredible animals they are.

I'm glad things are going well for you guys. I have acquired rats from several sources (breeders, bybs, pet store and rescue) and most seem to be shy at first but then loving once they get to know and trust you. I love that part.

One thing I was going to suggest for when picking rats up. I have found going underneath the rat to lift (as opposed to over top) and they seem to feel more secure that way. I also try to support the feet. That seems important to mine at least.

I know. I never thought they'd come around. I didn't realize how smart they are and how much they actually like people once they trust them. Today Luffy was actually choosing to hang out around me and jumping up on my shoulders, trying to steal some of my burrito. It was adorable. Simon comes running whenever I shake the bag of treats of call his name in a sweet voice. It's amazing. I will never own another small animal besides rats from now on. :3

I do go from underneath, it seems to be working with them. If I go from above they startle more. Simon doesn't like to be picked up at all, but he tolerates it. Luffy has actually become okay with me picking him up, depending on his mood. Sometimes he won't resist me and other times he'll try to get away. I think he's bipolar. X3

Now, I'm thinking about getting a third rat because Luffy doesn't like Simon's amount of energy and desire to play.

Last edited:
I would probably recommend getting two more if you want to add to your group. That way if intros don't go well at first your newbie won't be alone.

I will never own a different small animal again either. When we were talking about moving to Alberta (the one place they're illegal) I desperately searched for a replacement but nothing compares so we didn't move there lol

That's a good idea. My only concern would be where I would house the new rats until they're acquainted. I'd have to get a separate cage to keep them in. What is the best way to introduce new rats? I'm seriously looking into rescuing a couple and I want everyone to get along, obviously.

My dad swore he hated rats cause they're "dirty and stinky", but I changed his mind with Simon and Luffy. They're very clean if trained to use a litter box and they're so smart how could you not fall in love with their personalities? :)

It amazes me how nice rats can be despite the fact they may have had rough beginnings and poor genetics. That's how you know what incredible animals they are.

I'm glad things are going well for you guys. I have acquired rats from several sources (breeders, bybs, pet store and rescue) and most seem to be shy at first but then loving once they get to know and trust you. I love that part.

One thing I was going to suggest for when picking rats up. I have found going underneath the rat to lift (as opposed to over top) and they seem to feel more secure that way. I also try to support the feet. That seems important to mine at least.

Agreed...I have always supported my ratties' feet into the palm of my hand for support when picking them up. Rats do not like their feet dangling out in the air...it feels more secure to them to have their feet supported, and picking them up from underneath rather than from above is also a good thing to always do.

They do not want to feel like a hawk or some prey bird is swooping down over their heads. I remember reading all this in the rat books and articles I researched before getting rats.

Good advice, Trihkal.

I do, but they still are frightened. I'm not sure what else I can do besides continuing to handle them in order to get them comfortable with it. I'm aiming for snuggly rats, but I'm not sure that'll happen. X3

Luffy is bipolar. Sometimes he'll let me touch him and pick him up and other times he'll be frightened and run away from me. It's hard to read him really. Simon always is unsure being picked up and handled, but he doesn't become frightened by it.

Edit: Luffy just bit me. He didn't break the skin but I know he meant it. He was in my bookshelf and the only way I can get him out is to pick him up. ;__;

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. If it were me I would set up a new thread in the behavior section. Other members who have experience in this area may be able to help pinpoint the cause and help you fix this situation. I have never personally been bit by a rat but it happens and it can likely be resolved.

Thanks, I did post another thread. My other boy has never bit me and has groomed my hand before. I can tell he trusts me more and more each day and comes when I call him. Hopefully he'll be a cuddler one day. But Luffy, I'm having more trouble with. If I could get a proper read of him I might have more luck. >.>

The rat shack people can be very helpful. I hope someone that has more experience is able to help. I have had many rats but I haven't been bitten before.

Well, considering where I got my rats and what might have happened to them before it's understandable. But sometimes I think he's just a jerk. Why can't he take lessons from Simon and start to love me already? X3

When rats have a rough start or have been in a bad situation (neglect/abuse, etc) you are right, it is understandable that they might be defensive and unresponsive for a bit, while they learn to trust and love you. Sometimes it can take awhile for a rat to learn to relax and that no one is going to hurt him.

Shyer rats or rats that are having trouble calming down after being in a bad situation often do get influenced by another rat who is calmer and already trusting...they tend to learn from that, so you are right again.

But if you have not had your boys for a long time yet, it can just take patience and lots of TLC for your boy to settle down and learn to trust. I don't think any rats are ever born "jerks". They just have too much of a sweet nature to them.

Humans can be jerks though, and they are usually the cause of a poor ratty being defensive and scared, from being in a bad situation with a human, like your boys were before you rescued them. It can take time though. How long have you had your boys again?

It can be a long hard road and it does take lots of patience..Took my moose months to just be comfortable with me holding him though he never bit me atleast not that I remember but still it took him a long time to actually trust me and the first few months he would rather stay in his cage then have me hold him or let him run around and when I did force him out of the cage he would run from me when it was time to go back in.Now he loves to be snuggled and runs to the front of the cage when he sees someone :) Rats are social animals and they bond with their cage mates and then in the situation of pet stores they watch their loved ones get taken away one by one sometimes more then that at a time so to them humans become not a good thing but we are the ones that take away the ones they love and whatever else mistreatment they might get liked being picked up by their tail..ect.You gotta stand your ground and don't give up on him! Show him that no matter what through all his tries to push you away that you are gonna love him and spoil him and one day he will realize it but it is gonna take time and lots of patience.

Simon is almost there, but Luffy needs lots of work. What methods did you guys use to get them do snuggly and to love peolple? For Luffy I think I need to use the bonding pouch more cause he seemed to like it and for Simon I just sit in the play pen and he comes up onto my lap. The last time I did this was when Luffy was hiding and Simon seemed to actually want to stay there with me and cuddle, but he's still hesitant. Treats are the best thing for him but Luffy is picky about his treats. He likes the fatty stuff like yogurt drops and not the baby puffs.

I just don't want to Push them too hard I guess. But Luffy doesn't spend much time around me and I can't feed him too many fatty treats :p

Simon is almost there, but Luffy needs lots of work. What methods did you guys use to get them do snuggly and to love peolple? For Luffy I think I need to use the bonding pouch more cause he seemed to like it and for Simon I just sit in the play pen and he comes up onto my lap. The last time I did this was when Luffy was hiding and Simon seemed to actually want to stay there with me and cuddle, but he's still hesitant. Treats are the best thing for Simon but Luffy is picky about his treats. He likes the fatty stuff like yogurt drops and not the baby puffs.

I just don't want to Push them too hard I guess. But Luffy doesn't spend much time around me and I can't feed him too many fatty treats :p

It can be a long hard road and it does take lots of patience..Took my moose months to just be comfortable with me holding him though he never bit me atleast not that I remember but still it took him a long time to actually trust me and the first few months he would rather stay in his cage then have me hold him or let him run around and when I did force him out of the cage he would run from me when it was time to go back in.Now he loves to be snuggled and runs to the front of the cage when he sees someone :) Rats are social animals and they bond with their cage mates and then in the situation of pet stores they watch their loved ones get taken away one by one sometimes more then that at a time so to them humans become not a good thing but we are the ones that take away the ones they love and whatever else mistreatment they might get liked being picked up by their tail..ect.You gotta stand your ground and don't give up on him! Show him that no matter what through all his tries to push you away that you are gonna love him and spoil him and one day he will realize it but it is gonna take time and lots of patience.

Well said, RatPack. :nod:

The most awesome thing happened today! I brought them out today to play while I was watching shows, and Simon chose to come sleep on my shoulder. I was scratching and loving on him. When he woke up he was bruxing. Happy boy. He's definitely my cuddler. <3

Luffy is sleeping somewhere else in the room. He's a grump. X3

Back