Surrogate mom

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Rataholic
I have had a rescue mom with 4 little ones for 2 days. Another rat from the rescue just had a litter of 23! I am taking 4 but I would like some advice for introducing them to the surrogate mom. Of course if she refuses then I will take them back to their birth mom.

OMG, one rat had 23 babies? That's crazy! How old are the current babies? I would rub some bedding on the newbies and sneak them in there but others might have more experience.

OMG, one rat had 23 babies? That's crazy! How old are the current babies? I would rub some bedding on the newbies and sneak them in there but others might have more experience.

Try to get as much scent as possible on the new babies, mom's smell, bedding, urine, poop if you have any, rub old babies on new LOL

How much of a difference in age are they?

Well the babies are quite plump. I think they are only about 5 to 7 days old, but since there was only four they are bigger. Their eyes are not open yet. They do have color.

Yeah some are not getting fed well and mom is stressed. She is a good mom though and tries very hard. Here is a pic.

36f9c2f552445b0544ec56f59374e71d.jpg

That's incredible, that many babies. That other mom must be so tired. My mom rescued a mom once who gave birth to 18 but only 10 survived.

Exactly why I stole 4 from her o_O. I know it probably stressed her but it was best. She is still nursing 19! She is clearly not a first time mom though. I didn't ask but I think she must have been a breeder. Makes me feel a little more guilty about stealing babies from her. Anyway all four of the borrowed chillins are warm and thriving so far.

What great news that foster mom took them without question! Poor, poor little momma with so many mouths to feed. At least she has a good diet and nutrition to help support herself as well as feed all the wee ones now.

I have 3 out of 8 eyeballs open!

68b9907dc3b77bcaadbea4b9ba17d73b.jpg

c14b9c3129fa53e39882741f901d0b61.jpg

340b8f89b7829fd76ff9bccb241f4db4.jpg

1af1a40d61042de968fecd0a91b27aa9.jpg

Y'all this is super exciting for me because it is the first litter assist experience I've had. It kind of fell in my lap this way. It has been absolutely invaluable all the time I've spent haunting other people's baby threads, lol.

Back