Wally - nasty abscess 7/29/15 update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Wally has a nasty looking abscess in the area of the male gland on his abdomen. What concerns me is that when I squeeze it or press on it nasty smelling, green liquid comes out in penis. I do not believe its actually coming out his penis, just using that area as a release. It comes out for awhile and then stops, but he lump which is quite large doesn't seems to go down. I've soaked it now three times and the area is turning black so hopefully it will pop and we are giving him metacam for pain. Do you guys think we should try to aspirated it with a needle? I will call the vet on Monday.

If it is draining, then there is no point in aspiration. I'm a little fuzzy on treatment of an infection of that gland. Do we treat it like any other abscess? If so, then hopefully your soaks will bring it to a head and it will blast open with lots of chunky goo. What, too descriptive? LOL
I hope it pops soon for your little man...

Oh yeah antibiotics are a must. Poor guy. Glad it's draining some already though. Add to the young example pictures thread?

It only drains when I push on it and then it comes out his winky. Nasty smelling green liquid! The lump them filla back up and he go through the soak, push, try to get it open but end up getting the goo out the winky hole.

Sendai had this same thing happen. We would drain it just this way, gettng it out of the pocket and through his penis till it didnt come out any where. We were able do it like we was checkng for plugs. We also did antibiotics which helped us get rid of it. It never came back but he didnt live long but that had nothing to do with this.

This is how it looks after 2 days of soaking and draining through the penis. The black spot is new and turning more into a scab. I noticed tonight a pinhole opening along the spot and after some more soaking got a very tiny opening and a lot of gunk out. There was quite the "pop" of nastiness - that smell is just dreadful.

uploadfromtaptalk1413770007467.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1413770036335.jpg

Wally did see the vet today. The abscess did continue draining during the night since it stayed open. They removed the scab, flushed it, and did alittle laser procedure to help it heal

Opps, posted before I finished. He's on flagyl, doxy, and metacam. It looks great now and he seems to be resting comfortably.

Back