Benadryl, Myco, advice needed :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artemissa

Hi everyone! I posted a while ago about Gus. He's still with us, and actually might be doing a little bit better!

I have a few concerns I want to run by all of you to see what you think.

One of Gus's biggest issues has been nasal congestion. Well, the other night it was really bad...I knew others had tried pediatric Benadryl with success, so I gave it a shot. Started with .5ml dose of the 6.25mg strength. Much to my surprise, it seems to have helped quite a bit...the wheeze and huffing is still there, but he seems more comfortable and his nose isn't running all the time/sneezing is less. Less audible nasal wheezes, too, if that makes sense. It's been three days now; I've given him one dose a day, around the time he normally sleeps anyway - he's surprisingly not really nocturnal as he's out all day with me while I work.

How often can I do this? Is there any concern with long-term use? Should I try to space it out more? Re: sleepiness, he usually has one good snooze afterward, but he's not overly sedated otherwise. I dosed low to be cautious (he's right around 450-550 grams at any given time).

The other issue is that he's starting to lose patches of his hair in places where he can't reach. I'm wondering if its nutrition related, because we've had to get a bit creative with food...branching into a bit of scrambled egg here and there, mashed potato there, etc. He seems to do ok with soft stuff, but not hard, so I do mush up the Oxbow for him.

I'm also wondering if someone can check my doses for me for his meds.

- Metacam is .06ml - I believe this is the 0.5mg/ml; they gave me a separate bottle this time instead of just selling me the entire thing.
- Baytril is 0.22ml - label has rubbed off, so I don't have the strength for this one!
- Doxy is 0.35ml (10mg/ml)

I know this is a lot for a post, but Gus is my treasure and I want to do the best for him :)

We may go for a second opinion some time next week as the vet I see is really resistant to trying steroids or zithro...he says that the steroids would blow the infection up worse and that the zithro won't help if the current meds aren't handling it. I think it's worth a try personally, but haven't been able to find anything concrete to show him to sort of say, "look, here's the proof."

He's generally FANTASTIC, and we love him, but I'm worried we may have a difference of opinion here over what we can try...and I don't want that to harm Gus, you know?

Hi Artemissa,

I have to start off by saying I don't have detailed responses for you. I just generally wanted to say I like your idea of going to a different vet for a second opinion. Although I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, it would also be great to get the answers to your questions from a veterinarian who has examined Gus.

Regarding the dosages, can you provide Gus' weight?

I love hearing how much you treasure Gus and that he's doing really well!

Sending positive, healing wishes

Hi AboutRats,

Gus weighs *about* 500 grams. He tends to fluctuate between 450 and 520-ish because of the illness, but those are pretty drastic differences and have only really occurred once or twice...generally he's right around that 500gram-mark. I give either end because without weighing him each day, it's hard to say. The last weigh-in - just shy of a month ago - was like 510 grams.

I actually have my partner picking up a scale in the next day or two so we can better monitor his weight.

You're absolutely right--not looking for perfect solutions here, moreso just a "tide us over" than anything :)

I know I threw a lot of info out here so it's a little overwhelming..thanks for responding!

Hi Aremissa, sorry to hear about Gus still fighting this uri.
The benedryl can be done every 6 hours. We've used it long term in the past with no issues.

I've checked your dosages and I'm way off so I'm going to wait to see what lilspaz responds. You can PM her with this link and she'll come help.

Jorats,

At about 2 3/4, he'll probably fight the URI for the rest of his life honestly...so at this point, I think it's more about comfort and happiness. However, I also don't think it's time to give up yet - he has REALLY good days where he's back to normal and meds do help :) Thanks for posting!! I messaged lilspaz..I had the same issue with the doses :)

I've had quite a few rats stay on Baytril for the rest of their lives and they managed very well. I'm so glad you are fighting the good fight along with your sweet boy.

- Metacam is .06ml - I believe this is the 0.5mg/ml; they gave me a separate bottle this time instead of just selling me the entire thing.
- Baytril is 0.22ml - label has rubbed off, so I don't have the strength for this one!
- Doxy is 0.35ml (10mg/ml)

Started with .5ml dose of the 6.25mg strength

The benadryl you are using is 6.25 mg/5 ml, which is 1.25 mg/ml

Recc. dosage is 1-2 mg/kg

Gus's Weight is 500 grams

So heres the dosing you can use
1 mg/kg = .33 cc twice a day
1.5 mg/kg - .5 cc twice a day
2 mg/kg = .67 cc twice a day

Metacam - 0.5 mg/ml
recc. dosages are .5-2 mg/kg

You are just using it for a bit of inflammation/comfort right?
So you could use the low dose of .5 mg/kg and his dose would ber .5 cc (almost 10 times what you are giving now). You are sure its .5 mg/ml metacam?

Baytril, with no concentration I cannot help

Doxy is 10 mg/ml, recc dosage is 5 mg/kg
His dose would be .25 cc twice a day.

Sorry, I am just getting off work.

The metacam was a typo - should have said 0.6ml, not .06 lol. Sorry, I was flustered when typing all of that out! I have a math-based learning disorder, so numbers can be....interesting for me sometimes. LOL.

I just left a message for them-someone should call me back shortly and I'll update you with the strength!

Sorry again! High winds from the hurricane way down in the Atlantic are actually reaching us up here in NS- knocked out my power for a few hours.

The strength of the Baytril is 2.25.

As far as everything else, it seems like he's right on target then--even a little higher perhaps.

Sorry again! High winds from the hurricane way down in the Atlantic are actually reaching us up here in NS- knocked out my power for a few hours.

The strength of the Baytril is 2.25.

As far as everything else, it seems like he's right on target then--even a little higher perhaps.

OK so its injectable baytril,. 2.25%, which makes it 22.5 mg/ml.

.22 cc is the correct dose twice a day :D

Okay, so it's good to know that at least his doses are right on par. The Benadryl--I don't know if it's clearing out his nose some, or just making him a tad sleepy/calm and thus he's not as wheezy, but it's helping! I'm just doing once per day right now, and that seems to be enough. We have an appointment for a second opinion early next week.

There may not be anything left to do, but I think it's worth a try!

I had a boy on benadryl, but it was a Rx from the vet. I also had a different boy lose hair from buck grease build up due to non grooming. If your guy isn't fixed that may or may not happen. Can you see it growing back?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I noticed today that it's growing back in.

He does get buck grease on his back, but some of the spots were in weird places...one right on top of his head, for example.

I don't think he would have gotten mites from anywhere...it's a little odd.

IS there such a thing as male pattern rat baldness, lol!

Actually I was just coming to update.

IDK what happened this last time around...but it's been MIRACULOUS. His sneezing is all but gone. He's barely wheezing, he's growing his hair back and gaining weight and sleeping well.

:shock:

He's like a new rat?

This was all after picking up fresh doxy and fresh baytril. Could his meds be "expiring" early because they are mixed and degrading? It's just the weirdest thing...

They did change his doxy to a stronger concentration, so I only give him .14mls now (I think it's 25mg/ml now). Maybe that was it?

It's just bizarre how well he's doing considering we've been at this for four months. Why now? lol. I hate to ask in case I jinx it.

Actually I was just coming to update.

IDK what happened this last time around...but it's been MIRACULOUS. His sneezing is all but gone. He's barely wheezing, he's growing his hair back and gaining weight and sleeping well.

:shock:

He's like a new rat?

This was all after picking up fresh doxy and fresh baytril. Could his meds be "expiring" early because they are mixed and degrading? It's just the weirdest thing...

They did change his doxy to a stronger concentration, so I only give him .14mls now (I think it's 25mg/ml now). Maybe that was it?

It's just bizarre how well he's doing considering we've been at this for four months. Why now? lol. I hate to ask in case I jinx it.

How long was he on the new baytril/doxy?

They should last for weeks in your fridge though.

Back