Gmc - rip 7/21/14

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

GMC's URI is back, not surprising since it never completely left, at least I do not believe so since the vet only wanted a 2 week course of antibiotics. Anyway, doxy Rx will be in today or tomorrow and we have the baytril. His wheezing is audible and his breathing looks a bit labored. Vet saw him today, but should we start the baytril even though we do not have the doxy yet or would that be useless?

I would get him started on the baytril there's no harm in using it alone the doxy just provides an extra kick and helps to cover a broader spectrum of bacteria.

Well GMC's URI is still not cleared up and his lasted course of medication is done. We had a follow up appointment for him on the 12th, but I mentioned this yesterday at the vet when we brought Popper in and they moved up his appointment to the 4th. I guess its time to start a different medication since the doxy/baytril combo just isn't working on our boy! It knocks it down some so its not an audible wheeze, but we still hear it when rat phoning him. :gaah: We've been doing this now since end of July beginning of September - some where around there. Maybe I should start him on the benedryl Popper isn't using anymore and see if that works - What do you guys think? I'm open to any and all suggestions here. I'm very confident in the vet I have now, but he is open to suggestions too - we already discussed that.

Has it ever completely gone away since you started abs? Does it get worse without abs like to the point where he is side breathing or just noisier?

smilez_n_hugs said:
Has it ever completely gone away since you started abs? Does it get worse without abs like to the point where he is side breathing or just noisier?

No, it has never completely gone away. We can always hear it if we rat phone him, but when he's off the meds for more than 4-7 days he becomes audible again where we can hear him from across a room. Not sure what you mean by side breathing. If you mean can I see his sides go up and down/in and out - Yes, he's been doing that for awhile, but I don't think its bothering him. Its hard to tell these three (GMC, Kona, & Bumbles) are my slug muffins, but they do come out for play time and we take them out last so they will explore the other boys smells - otherwise they will just find a place to hide.

Once you can find a combo that keeps his symptoms controlled, leave him on it for the rest of his life.
Unless I am confusing you for someone else, your babies have lots of resp issues right? I would think about getting them tested for CAR bacillus if you are curious. Treatment would be the same though I would think. So it wouldn't really help anything to know. When I get some money I would like to get mine tested. Bella has mentioned the new Opti-Spot can detect it.
http://www.idexxbioresearch.com/radil/u ... 013_US.pdf

RattusNorvegicus said:
Once you can find a combo that keeps his symptoms controlled, leave him on it for the rest of his life.
Unless I am confusing you for someone else, your babies have lots of resp issues right? I would think about getting them tested for CAR bacillus if you are curious. Treatment would be the same though I would think. So it wouldn't really help anything to know. When I get some money I would like to get mine tested. Bella has mentioned the new Opti-Spot can detect it.
http://www.idexxbioresearch.com/radil/u ... 013_US.pdf

We've had the URI going around, but most have cleared up after treatment. I think it started with Sebastian, who is fine now. GMC has never completely cleared up, but he has never been on medication more than two weeks at a time because our old vet wouldn't give them to us longer than that. He has now been on them about 3 weeks (1 week of the old doses from previous vet and 2 weeks on the new vet doses). He goes back on Monday and I'm assuming we will try a different medication. I think we just need more consistency with him and we didn't get that with the other vet. Kona and Bumbles are just being treated for two reasons 1-precautionary since they are in the cage with GMC and 2-the dull eyes with the left bulging eye to see if that responded to anything. Respiratory wise they sound fine. In the other cage, Axe is being treated and Popper we're trying to figure out what he has. I really think that whatever Popper has Axe has for two reasons 1-they sound the same, but Popper is worse and 2-they are brothers. So right now only two are on medication (GMC and Popper) the two weeks are up for the others. I know it seems like I have been treating these boys forever and at one point the old vet had us give antibiotics to all 15, but you guys told me to stop that it was ridiculous and the non sick ones would build up a resistance.

Do they need to put him under for that blood test? That is definitely something to consider - Thanks

He is back on the baytril/doxy combo for another 3-4 weeks with a follow up appointment in 3 weeks so they can listen too him and re-evaluate to see if he will need additional weeks of antibiotics before we run out like this week. He was sounding pretty clear yesterday with just a slight wheeze, but it was much louder today. We will consider x-rays on him too in 3-4 weeks if no improvement, but he does improve when on the antibiotics. I just don't think he has been on them long enough consistently to beat this. Its always on two weeks, then off a week or two, then he's put back on. This new vet always treats 3-4 weeks so another plus for them :joy:

Thats great GMC is responding to his medication, I hope he has a full recovery and that blasted URI never returns. Good luck I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Thanks guys, I hope this works too .. he has about 4 more weeks to go!!! He has been fighting this for forever its seems, but we finally have consistency and a medication to last more than 2 weeks :joy:

Well, GMC still sounds the same. Some days he sounds really good (almost clear) and some days he has the wheeze. Not a bad wheeze, but I'm afraid its just something he's going to have long term. Doesn't seem to bother him at all. My question now is - he has his follow up appointment on Monday should I suggest adding a third antibiotic to the mix? He's on baytril once a day and doxy twice a day along with a holistic. He's been on the baytril/doxy so long I'm thinking he may just be resistant to it at this point - I think he's been on it since Sept.

Back