Baby boys and Pregnant Female

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still no babies. We have had her since the 9th (which was the last day she had been with males. Total times with males was around a week.) I just don't know. :stupid:

Been 23 days.. I'd give her another day unless she is acting maternal..nesting, showing signs of labor and/or crabiness.. They can go longer but that usually only happens with moms that get pregnant right after birth.

her pics don't make her look pregnant.

As for fleece, don't use it unless its cut up strips in the maternity cage...babies can get stuck underneath and mom can "lose" them and they chance dying.

I'm not sure of anything but she went from 255G yesterday to 262G today. I am just confused.

are you weighing her at the same time every day?
have you checked you scale for accuracy?

depending on the type of scale, some won't work well if they are not on a totally flat surface (mine is like this, if it wobbles even the teeniest bit, it will give many different wts or, if I'm lucky,just show an error message)
check the batteries, too, if they are low, the scale can be off.

take something you know the wt of, and put it on the scale several times, in several different spots, and at different times and see if it's coming up accurate.

also rats tend not to sit still, so when you weigh her, is she moving around a lot?
you can be getting fluctuating wts just from her movement while on the scale.

I agree with lilspaz, she does not *look* pregnant. I have had baby girls who were never pregnant have rounder bellies than this lady lol

I have checked the scale this morning and it looks to be accurate. After moving a little she will sit still and that's when I record her weight. Same time, every day. I guess we will wait and see.

Yea we have a girl like that.. This is isabell aka pumpkin! When we got her she was not a baby but 6-8 months old and we thought for sure she was heavily pregnant so we waited and waited and no babies.. So out of concern of tumors I took her to the vet for a full exam and vet said she wasn't pregnant and not growths she just is a girl with "curves" and she steadily gained weight like that as well until she was about 12 months old and now she gains a few grams every month even though she is on a no junk diet.. I've never seen a rat like her before but I love every round inch of her :)

IMG_20160202_142133.jpg

IMG_20160202_142152.jpg

Just when I thought we were in the clear!
I rescued 3 hairless rats today. 2 females one male. They are around 12 weeks old and have been living with their siblings the whole 12 weeks! The cage they were in were mixed sexes, UGH. Here we go, AGAIN. Stupid people drive me up a wall!

:emb::emb::emb:
I need to know what's going through people's minds when they leave them together that long. All it takes is one Google search. "How long can I leave baby rats together?" Boom. You have avoided anywhere up to 30 potential babies (because there's two girls) that are going to need homes and vet care.

I hope that they aren't pregnant, but I know the next three weeks are going to be a waiting game. Keep us updated!

:emb::emb::emb:
I need to know what's going through people's minds when they leave them together that long. All it takes is one Google search. "How long can I leave baby rats together?" Boom. You have avoided anywhere up to 30 potential babies (because there's two girls) that are going to need homes and vet care.

I hope that they aren't pregnant, but I know the next three weeks are going to be a waiting game. Keep us updated!

The last two boys I got from a shelter in Michigan - I asked them how they had so many rats (14 at the time). She said at one point they had 70 because someone (idiot) let her mix sexed rats play together during the day because she said they "Only mate at night" so its okay to play during the day......

They look completely hairless except for fuzz all over then furry faces. It stops at their eyes though. Here's a picture, the dark is fuzz. This is Willow :)

20160206_123117-1.jpg

Back