Zymbals Gland tumors - Sadie's final vet vist :*(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm freaked, another thing I've never heard of all the time I've had rattie-kids that someone else has encountered multiple times.. I almost feel like if I hadn't read the post it wouldn't ever exist for my kids since I didn't know about it . :rant: Sorry, that's dumb but OMG not another thing to be wary of?

Ok, now that I've voiced all my selfish concerns I hope that Sadie is living comfortably with you for a long time yet. Kisses to her, Ginger & Jim.

For those of you watching Sadie's thread, but would rather not hear any of the graphic details, please do not read further on this update....

I had made another appt for Sadie today, but after a long talk with my hubby, we decided to give her yet another few days. I just don't see how we could go past this Saturday...but I've said that before.

She's past the point of me posting pics anymore. I'm ashamed what anyone would think if they saw her. I swear, if she wasn't still alert, happy, eating, playing and enjoying life, I would have let her go. This has got to be one of the hardest decisions I've EVER had to make...and each day, we have to contemplate the decision again and again.

The lump on her face is just huge. The outside edge of the lump is one necrotic scab. The smell has gone from that of infection, to that of (I can only explain it as..) a dead animal :sad3: I can smell her two feet away from my face. But that doesn't stop me from kissing her on the good side of her face, and petting her while she bruxes. The necrotic scab will crack at times and bleed just a little, but then scab back over. But last night, something happened that just horrified me. The edge of the tumor nearest to her eye (but thank god has never affected her eye) opened up. I could even see what appeared to be like cystic material (not abscess goo though). Oh god, I"m sorry to talk about this guys....but I just needed to talk with people who KNOW...ya know? I gently used a qtip to try and clean some of the material out, and then put some antibiotic ointment in the "hole" that was left behind. It was then I told my husband that today HAD to be the day. :sad3: Sadie just looked at me like "you know I hate it when you mess with my lump....but can I have a cookie and go play now"?

By this morning, everything seems to have dried up a bit, the cystic material is gone (I don't want to think that someone might have helped groom it) and the skin is still open there, with a hole where the material was. When I say hole, I mean smaller than the size of a BB (almost like you'd see an emptied abscess hole, but smaller).

She happily greeted me, sat on my lap and bruxed, snatched a cookie from my hand and later scarfed her meds in avacado mush. Am I cruel to let her live another couple of days?

I have a call into the vet and will talk with her tonight. I want to be sure I"m not making Sadie suffer....even though she doesn't act painful at all (very suprising about that though). When she looked at the necrotic tissue last Saturday, she told me she didn't think Sadie was bothered by it. So we've just been waiting for Sadie to let us know. I just don't think that is going to happen....and it's going to break my heart to have to let an otherwise happy girl go.

Ok, I'm done with yet another whine. Sorry it was so graphic too. I've lost so many rats over the years...but this is up there with one of the hardest of all. :sad3:

That is really tough, and it must be so hard on you being on edge every day. But Sadie seems content, so I see why you are keeping her with you as long as she is having fun.

Maybe the lack of distress on her part is because the tumour is growing outward instead of inward, so it is not interfering with her normal tissue. Necrotic tissue doesn't have sensation, and your vet reassured you that it is not bothering her.

Anyway, feel free to post all you want about this painful topic. We are all with you! Kisses to Sadie.

Unfortunately, mamarat and I have been there, done that... So talk away... we know what you are going through and support you all the way. :hugs:

Thanks so much guys. I just got off the phone with my vet. I had sent her pics of Sadie from tonight, but she hadn't seen them yet. Based on what I described, she is inclined to agree that Saturday is most likely the day. But I kind of already figured that. :sad3: :sad3:

As for right now, Sadie is standing up on top of the nest box playing "I'm queen of the world". :*)

It was sad earlier though, I went to give her a piece of Mac and Cheese (ok, so she's getting anything her little heart desires now) and Rudy ran over to check it out. He got his nose right up to her face and then (I swear) flipped his head back and ran away....as if the smell just blew him away :sad3: I don't see anyone sleep with her anymore either, so I imagine they all know we are getting close. :sad3:

I know I should be thankful we got 2 more weeks than we originally thought. For a ZG tumor, we got over a month....I know I should be thankful for that too. But tomorrow is going to be really hard day, no matter how I try to prepare. But I know we have no other choice now. So I'm going to buck up and do this for my baby girl. If it were up to my heart, it would just keep letting her go until she said it was time. But I can't...for her, I can't.

Our appt is tomorrow afternoon :cry3:

Please wish my dear little Sugar Bear a peaceful passing. :cry3:

:sad3: You are such a great mum. Sadie was so lucky to have you. :hugs:

Play hard at the bridge Sadie and you will be the Queen.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and support. This is a wonderful group of people. :hugs:

Sadie is now tumor free and playing at the bridge. This was so very hard for me, but I knew it was best for my dear beautiful girl. I'm just heartbroken....but she's free and that's what matters most. :cry3:

Back