Zymbals Gland tumors - Sadie's final vet vist :*(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one big lump! I'm glad it isn't affecting her eye though. If it was, I think the situation would be so much worse. She looks like a very normal rat in that photo, and it's like she doesn't even know she has a lump on her face from her expression.

Good luck over the weekend. Give her kisses from us all

Oh absolutely. We talked about that very thing. So many poor babies with these tumors, will have them grow behind their eyes and that's just awful. For some reason, Sadie's hasn't. I see a little porophryn around her eye, but not much. She still has full blink reflex there too. The sad part for her, it's growing in her ear. :sad3:

Well, our dear little girl made it through the weekend and is still doing ok. The tumor is starting to ulcerate a bit, but we are keeping opthamalic antibiotic ointment on it, and it doesn't look bad. The tumor is getting dangerously close to the corner of her eye, so we know we are getting close :sad3: So far, it's not yet behind the eye and she still has her blink reflex.

We've made tentative appts for her, for Tues, Wed and Thurs...just in case. So we have all our bases covered.

She's still happily munching treats, eating well, and enjoying her out of cage time with friends. Thankfully, all the worry is on her momma for now. :sad3:

Thanks guys! :hugs: This really can be a hard decision at times (not that it ever is easy...but sometimes it's certainly easier to know when it's time).

Again, I do appreciate being able to have folks that understand, to whine to, through this whole horrible situation with our dear girl. I just can't believe I haven't even had her with us for 2 months, and she's already leaving us. :sad3:

Her pal Elsa is starting to look depressed. She KNOWS, I just know it. She sleeps with Sadie, wherever she is...it's like she won't leave her side either. Thankfully, they are now with 4 other ratties, so Elsa will have comfort after Sadie leaves. But what really amazes me, is they've all lived together for barely a week, and everyone is very gentle and cuddling with Sadie.

I thought I'd give another update on our little Sugar Bear.

I just cancelled another "tentative" vet appt for today. She still seems to be enjoying life and has such a happy spirit. :*).

The scab on the ulcerated spot opens and closes, but we keep the ointment on it, and it doesn't seem to bother her as much I would have thought. I don't see her messing with it at all. She definitely hates to have her face touched on that side, but really loves to have the other side of her face rubbed. She's still happily scarfing down her food, loving treats, and plays in the play area with her pals. That blasted tumor has managed to stay just short of compromising her eye, and that's what I'm watching so close.

So, she's still not ready to leave us just yet. I keep thinking it will be any day, but so glad we've had more time with our girl. I have tentative appts made for the remainder of the week, so we still have all the bases covered.

jorats said:
We are cherishing her every day right there with you... :clapping:

:hugs: Oh you have no idea how much I appreciate that. :hugs: I know she won't get better, and this will have a sad ending. But it really means a lot to be able to talk with others who understand. :sad3:

It's good to hear she's still living day by day. I know it's sure hard watching them when they have an illness like that and you can't help but wonder when it will be time for her to leave. Even though they can be the worst of days they can be the best of days too.

We have a vet appt today. Sadie is still hanging in there, but the ulceration is just getting bigger :sad3: I just don't know how she can stay in such good spirits, that tumor just HAS to be painful. I know the tramadol is helping. But still...my poor baby.

Since we are going into another weekend, I really want to be sure she'll do ok. My husband and I had a long talk last night, and depending on what the vet says.....today could possibly be the day. I sure hope not...but ya'll know how it goes :sad3:

I'm taking my group of 3 oldies in too. Our oldest boy Jim is really fading, and I just want him and his girls to be checked over. You know, when they get to that point where you know they are declining, and you probably can't do much more for them (all three are on meds for various reasons), but you want to be sure. All three seem comfortable...it's just time for an oldie check up.

Anyway, perhaps you all might send some good throughts their way today? If it's Sadie's time, I'm trying to be prepared. I've prepared for the last 3 weeks...but still, it will be so hard. :sad3:

Well, I'm happy to say we are home from the vet and Sadie is STILL with us. :*). The vet felt that she is still enjoying life and that the tumor is not bothering her all that bad (considering). She even sat still while the vet felt it a bit. The vet also trimmed her overgrown tooth (from her jaw being pushed out of alignment due to the tumor) and she sat like a good girl and didn't even flinch.

My oldies did ok too. Our Ginger does have a heart issue and explains why she has been lethargic lately. So hopefully Enalapril will help getting her feeling a bit better. And dear old ancient Jim is actually sounding pretty good. His heart sounded pretty good for being on heart meds and his age (32 months). So that was good too.

WHEW!

Back