Zumi - Gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roo

I am hopeful that I'm just being paranoid because we're leaving on the 17th of December until the 4th of January. Bamboo is going to be ratsitting. ♥♥♥

Zumi is recovering from mites so she is still a bit itchy and scabby - though healing nicely. I don't know if the itching/mites is the cause of her behavior, as I've never dealt with mites or PT before now.

I believe Zumi to be about 19 months old. She's fairly active, but has been behaving a bit oddly. She falls fairly often (fell off the couch twice and off the top level of the CN once), and drops her food often. She won't hold her lab blocks at all, but will eat if I hold them or if they're propped up between the couch cushions.

We do not have cheerios, so this first video is of her with some noodles:
http://youtu.be/Q7hmPC4ZIA8

Zumi with some cereal:
http://youtu.be/Lp9-_hvnbuI

Thanks!

I hate to say it but it looks like PT. My sister's lil boy had one - he was unfairly confined to a hamster cage most of his life (my sister and I are polar opposites when it comes to obligation, compassion, understanding and ultimately pet care, and my parents would not allow me to cause drama by 'saving' him) but it was obvious when he started walking with his back feet always under him - she has the same rise in her back when she walks across the couch, and that she had to balance on one hand to groom her leg isn't a very good sign. She can still get around though, and doesn't seem uncomfortable so much as willing to adjust. Two weeks is a long time to be away though - I read before that you can't cancel the trip. Is there a way you and the rat-sitter can Skype or video-call? To keep tabs on your baby, actually see how she is doing? A trip to the vet to be sure of what is going on and what you can do to help before you leave is probably best.

edit: i looked more closely and from one angle her walking is odd, but from the other it seems more normal. Not sure what to believe now - hopefully a more PT experienced rat owner can determine if her walking is off.

I don't think we can say one way or the other with the videos. At some points it could be but then she seems fine in other areas. It's hard to say. I'd just keep an eye on her.

Okay. Thanks, both of you.

It has been confusing to me too. She is always falling over when she is still, cleaning or scratching. But when she waddles around on the couch she seems okay.
Will update with more videos if something happens.

dwummp.jpg

She was fine yesterday, seemed to have improved. We set up a vet appointment for Tuesday at 4pm, as we couldn't go today at all.

This morning she was wandering around normally, but fell asleep on my lap - which was adorable but unusual.
Fed her some carrot and lab block that was soaked in water.

When we were eating dinner, she began stumbling around the CN - falling on her side, backwards, etc. Took her out back to the couch and cuddled her in blankets. Got her to eat some more carrot. All three of us fell asleep for a while.

Now just... ugh. I don't know what else to do for now. Calling vet first thing in the morning to try getting in earlier.
o_______o

Our little Zoom-Zoom.

I'm chatting with people on the rat shack facebook, but I wanted to keep forum folk updated too. ♥

Thanks everybody. ♥

3 hours until the vet still. :c

Freya and Badger are keeping her company right now. When I woke up this morning, they had built a nest around her. It was so sweet. :cuddle:

1zy8wg2.jpg

We had Zumi PTS today. Her lungs were filling and she wasn't eating or drinking. She was barely responsive.

Today sucks.

Thanks everybody, you're all so kind. :hugs:
Seems like only last week she was sneaking into the noodles and having a party. :cheeky:

Back