Zucchini Season is Here!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanessa

I received a huge zucchini from my sisters garden and immediately did a search online for a new zucchini loaf recipe. I really liked this, so thought I would share. I read the reviews online, and followed the advice of some of the reviews. I will post the original recipe below, and will footnote the changes I made.
This is a large recipe, enough for two loaves. The original recipe can be found at Chocolate Chip Orange Zucchini Breadwhere it allows you to entire the amount of servings you would prefer and it adjusts the amount of ingredients based on your serving preference. I left it 'as is' because of the size of my zucchini. I still have half the grated zucchini in my fridge, which I will freeze to use later.

INGREDIENTS

* 3 eggs
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 cup vegetable oil1
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 cups grated zucchini2
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1 tablespoon orange zest (one large orange)
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS

1. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar, and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, nuts, chocolate chips, and orange rind. Blend in sifted ingredients. Turn batter into two greased 9 x 53 inch loaf pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 504 minutes, or until bread tests done. Remove loaves from pans, and cool. Chill before slicing.

REVISIONS

1 substituted same amount of unsweetened applesauce
2 sweated the grated zucchini using the 1 teaspoon salt and used 3 cups instead.
3 used a 7.5 X 3.5 because that is all I had. I made muffins with the other half of the recipe.
4 30 minutes for the muffins.

Yummy!
P8302033.jpg

The yucky clean-up part...
P8302034.jpg

I'm not a big fan of chocolate and orange together, but I love the idea of having orange with the zucchini. Or just the chocolate! But I'm definetly going to try using the orange zest.
Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa

Orange zest really gives a yummy flavour to everything you add it too! And the applesauce is a great, low fat, substitute to the vegetable oil. Thanks, Vanessa! I always forgot to do that! :doh:

I'm going to make it! But, ssshhh - don't tell my kids there's ZUCCHINI in it! :giggle:

Back