Zoey's Kidney Disease UPDATE: 4/18

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoey is doing a little better today, she looks more bright eyed. I've gave her the Sub Q fluids yesterday, getting ready for the next round soon. She's also been getting a special kidney disease diet full of fruits and juicy/watery foods. Her favorite is banana baby cereal blended with some apple/cherry baby food and fresh strawberries and blueberries. I try to add a good amount of water to all the mushy food I make for even more hydration lol. We're seeing the vet Saturday, possibly tomorrow, and depending on how he thinks she's doing I think I might ask for some lasix to help flush all hose toxins. Does anyone have any suggestions on probiotics I can give her because I think she's also constipated from the issue, it's hard to keep track of her poops with so many other rats in the cage.
I'm so grateful that for now she's at least at a point where I think I can say she's comfortable and I can sleep without worrying about her too much lol!

From a few minutes ago...

cOcep.jpg

QdCVQ.jpg

If you're worried about her hydration and are giving her subcutaneous fluids, I don't know if I'd give her Lasix, as it's a diuretic and will cause her to lose more fluids, making her MORE dehydrated. You only need Lasix if she's retaining fluids.

So, Zoey is still losing weight :sad3: despite all my efforts. She was at 376g yesterday...she was 460 in February! I'm feeding her the low protein HT blocks now. She's getting fruits (grapes, strawberries, banana chips, blueberries, peaches) and various baby food in the mornings. When I get out of work around 4-5 I give her some baby cereal mixed blended with olive oil and gerber harvest baby juice, (mango, pineapple, carrot, flavor) and lab block mush. Then she has plenty of veggies for dinner (cauliflower, mixed greens, peas, carrots, corn, red bell peppers, and tomatoes. I usually give her some ensure or baby food with her veggies as well. And she has a pretty good appetite, it's not what it used to be, but despite all this she's still losing weight.
The other thing I noticed is when I'm home she's almost restless and as soon as she sees me anywhere near the cage she's out of her hammock and at the door? I don't think it's cause she's hungry since she's eating so much. I think it's just her wanting me cause she's not feeling well :( I usually go over and sit and give her kisses and pets, she loves to fall asleep with me scratching around her head and neck :heart: I try to have her out with me at night for one on one time to, and to get her some time away from the babies, she breaks my heart with how pure sweetness she is :cuddle: I don't know if she's going to get over this, or how long we have with her, but for now, although she's not herself, she's definitely happy!
The vet wants me to continue with the Sub Q fluids every day, her hydration seems good with that, and she's drinking a lot like she used to which, for now is a good thing because it will hopefully flush those kidneys out! We're going back next week sometime, I have to continue with the glucose readings, because he was saying something about getting a long span reading, before making any major decisions and seeing if the level goes down after a solid week of fluids and diet change.
Thanks everyone, here's Zo Zo today enjoying her cereal mix...

PgTBY.jpg

Back