Zoey - Update, she's gone :**(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie

Well it looks like our run of rattie sadness is affecting another one of our precious babies. :sad3:

I was holding our beautiful little nekkid girl, Zoey last night and found a massive mass in her belly. :cry3: She's only 1 1/2 and it came as a total shock. She's otherwise happy, healthy and energetic.

I just can't believe this is happening to another on of my babies. :sad3:

We have a vet appt in a few hours, but I can't imagine it bring anything but bad news. :sad3:

Zoey could sure use some good thoughts, just in case.

I sincerely hope everything goes well and it's nothing too serious.
But I know how you feel. I lost my nekkid Mazzy about a month ago.
Please keep us updated! :cuddle:

Oh man... and these are the kinds that we really can't do much about. I've had a few like that, once it's confirmed they are pretty much on a watch, you have to know when it's time to let them go.
Be strong!!

jorats said:
Oh man... and these are the kinds that we really can't do much about. I've had a few like that, once it's confirmed they are pretty much on a watch, you have to know when it's time to let them go.
Be strong!!

Yeah :sad3: :sad3: There's honestly no good news that comes from a vet visit for stuff like this either. Our Harvey lived for almost 2 months with his internal mass, and we made regular vet trips (weekly). In the end, he no sooner got another "he's doing well still" check up, that he had a stroke that night, and we lost him. With Violet, I had hoped for the same.....but as you all know, she had a stroke (or similar when the tumor burst) and died during her appt to identify what type of tumor is was. :cry3: I just hope that Zoey's is the kind like Harvey's and we can monitor her closely but give her more time.

Zoey has been the world's most perfect, sweet and loving rattie. I just can't believe this is happening to her. She's been perfectly healthy until now. :sad3:

I'll post an update once we get back from the vet.....and a picture of my baby girl too, so you can put a face with a name.

Thanks again for all the kind wishes guys. Seems I've posted more sad threads, than happy ones. :sad3:

Well we are back from the vet. And it came as no surprise (though still breaks my heart just the same), it's not good for Zoey. :sad3: Matter of fact, she's already pretty lethargic. She just snuggled up to my neck and laid on my chest while we were there.

The xrays showed the mass appears to be in the area of her liver, pancreous (sp) or possibly her kidney (either that, or the shear size of the tumor has squished her organs off to the side).

We talked about giving her steroids in hopes it might help with swelling....or just make her comfy. Truth is, the tumor is the size of a walnut, and came up FAST. The vet is pretty sure it's probably a fast growing carcinoma (just like what happened to Violet)....and we agreed, the steroids probably wouldn't buy her any time at this point.

Right now, she's back with her friends, enjoying her dinner. So we are going to take this one day at a time. I'm going to cherish every minute with my sweet little angel. I don't know if she'll be here a few more days, a week or what...but I don't think it will be much longer. :sad3: :sad3: I have one heck of a bad run lately with losses. :cry3:

Here's a pic of Zoey (center) with some of her pals (she lives in a huge cage with 8 other girls, and our boy Theo):
DouglasGirls.jpg

Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry.
My wonderful Ness had a tumour that had wrapped her pancreas and omendum. Give your sweetie lots of kisses for me.

Zoey is beautiful. I had two girls with internal tumors who were on love watch. Zoey will tell you when it's time. I'm so sorry. :hugs:

I wish I wasn't writing this note so soon.....but we helped Zoey to the bridge this morning. :cry3: :cry3: She went down hilll very quickly and by last night, I could already tell she was feeling very uncomfortable. She was using her pals as a pillow and pretty much just slept most of the time. I could get her to eat a few bits of food, but then she'd just lay back out like she was so tired.

This morning, I woke to find she was starting to get porophyrn around her eyes, and she felt a little cold to the touch (as most of you know, hairless ratties are otherwise very warm). She was laid across Sophie, who wasn't moving for nothing. Even when I put a cookie under her nose, she took it gently as if not to disturb Zoey.

If I knew the outcome stood a chance of being anything but bad, I might have nursed Zoey a while longer. But I really doubt she would have gone another day without seriously starting to suffer. It was one of those times when I had to not keep her for me, but to let her go for her. My vet cried right along with me, as Zoey was one of her favs.

She was one of the most lovely ratties in her cage. She lived with 8 girls and a boy, and never got a scratch on her. Everyone loved and respected our little nekkid princess, our little heater, our pink angel.

I'm at work right now, but will post a few pics of her life, when I get home tonight.

Thank you all again for your kind words. We've had 4 hard losses in just the last few weeks. I sure hope this sad streak has come to an end, and it will be a long while before we lose anyone else. :sad3:

Run free my little Zoey. :cry3:

Back