Zinc Pear Hooks Safe?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jherek

A lady who makes small pet bedding/hammocks wants to make sure that pear hooks are safe (as most are made of zinc, although they have more expensive ones made of stainless steel). From what I could find, Debbie said "Here are some other statements they make that I disagree with. They say galvanized cages can cause zinc poisoning, but I’ve never heard of this occurring. Rats would have to actually eat pieces of the zinc for this to happen, not just lick their feet." Does anyone have any other info on this? Thanks~

I have galvanized cages and pear hooks. I don't think they should be an issue.

By the way, you can buy a 12 pack of stainless pear hooks at Walmart for $1.99. I usually find them in the section that sells bathroom fixtures but sometimes they also have them in the aisle where the shower curtains are. I've also found them in dollar stores on a few occasions. If I were you I would pass on ordering them on-line and just pick up your own.

I believe the problem would arise from chewing on the hooks. Mine have never done that. I've been using those pear shower curtain hooks for quite some time.

Indeed, my ladies have never chewed them either (they don't seem to like chewing metal at all). I also used to have a galvanized cage and never had a problem.

Just double-checking though. Apparently it's a problem for other species she makes hammocks for and wanted to be sure. :) Thanks for your input.

Mumsy - thanks for that info also, I will let her know.

Back