ZGT? Abscesses? Lymphnodes?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it seems to be a theme!

Thank you, everyone has been very kind and so helpful. I'll update if anything new transpires :)

I don’t know anything about ZGTs but is it possible that this is an ear infection as well as the abscesses or is the foul smelling liquid coming from the abscess area for sure? Are there any balance issues?

It's possible it's an ear infection, but part of me feels like all the antibiotics he's been on would have cleared that up? He doesn't appear to have any balance issues but he tries to scratch that ear a lot and shakes his head, which again could be a ZGT. I really don't know, I guess it'll become obvious as time goes on. The ones under his jaw are definitely swelling again though. Such a wee shame

As far as I’m aware, the best antibiotics for an inner ear infection would be a Baytril/ doxycycline combination, you could also add or swap out doxy for amoxicillin, but the penicillin might work in place of that so I suppose as long as they can be used together, I would try to get him on Baytril as well as the penicillin. Whether or not it’s an ear infection, maybe it would be good to take him to the vet again to see what they think. The foul smell suggests some sort of infection, which could either be from the ear or the abscesses. If it’s just a smell because of the abscesses, continuing to clean them should work just fine., but inner ear infections are a lot more serious. A head tilt is another sign, but I’d say the signs you’re seeing would be worth trying to get some additional antibiotics.

Clavamox would be better than amoxicillin. It's like supercharged amoxi. ZGT often causes horrible infections but unfortunately with ZGT it often doesn't clear up and you're just trying to improve things. Can you post pics if it now?

Hi guys

It took me a minute to get some photos but this is the current state of affairs. He's been on amox. for five days and no change in anything. Now I am the last person to advocate for this (I've spent the last year in human antibiotic resistance/infection) but I am not going to continue to give him it. It's getting to the point now where he's refusing to eat anything we give him if it has the pills in it so we've had to pin him down and inject it in his mouth. Between this and the constant vet visits/baths his life is honestly miserable.

I don't know what to do anymore, nothing we've given him has helped and everything has only served to make him unhappy. He is happy and well in himself otherwise, and I can give him metacam if I feel that he's in discomfort. Beyond that I'm at a loss, and I really don't want to further torture him with more antibiotics we've used before to no avail. The only thing I'd be interested in is the chloropalm but I have still not been able to source it as yet.

I am confident that this is some kind of congenital condition. He never grew like his two sturdy healthy brothers, he's at least half their mass and size, he has never had a big appetite and he's always had one skin complaint or another. Either abscesses or scratches or flaky patches. There are new lumps on his jaw/neck that you may be able to see from the photos, I'm not clear yet on whether they're more abscesses or if a ZGT will be revealed shortly. Its all a bit of a guessing game I'm afraid.

Photos were taken before I washed him, you can see the mess of his ear and the last one is of one of his typical abscesses if they rupture. I've had several of these surgically removed. The others you can see he is balder next to the ear and a new lump forming on the jaw

Attachments

• IMG_8615.JPG
    IMG_8615.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_8616.JPG
    IMG_8616.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_8617.JPG
    IMG_8617.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8618.JPG
    IMG_8618.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_8619.JPG
    IMG_8619.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_8621.JPG
    IMG_8621.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 198
pills??
I give my rats a liquid

................... try putting the dose in a small dish, adding 2 drops of organic maple syrup, add 2 drops of water and thicken with a tiny amount of baby cereal (kind that says add milk) ..... hopefully he will think it is a treat

That is horrible. Poor little gut.
I wish you could get some chloramphenicol palmitate

Yeah they're in tablet form. Oh believe me I've tried it. He's had porridge, baby cereal, chocolate cereal, baby food, soup, mashed potatoes, chocolate milk, sweet potato purée, you name it I've tried it. He's never been food motivated so it's very easy for him to turn his nose up at everything. Hence why we resorted to making it into a liquid and just syringing it into his mouth, but you should hear him scream it's terrible. If it were helping I'd get on with it, but I can't stand to put him through it any more for no positive outcome

I understand, MajorQ, sometimes the options narrow to balancing their misery limit with it's benefits.. Such a shame he's cursed with these issues, such a blessing he has a parent who's doing all they can for both his health & his comfort. God, he's really the most visually beautiful little guy apart from his owies, isn't he? His color, his curls, his most adorable ears!

Thank you, that's very kind of you. Everyone has been so sweet and helpful I appreciate all of you so much.

Yes he's extremely cute, and a lovely personality - he puts up with so much. It breaks my heart honestly to continue to put him through all of this. I feel as if I'm in a position now where I should treat HIM and not his disease. Palliative care basically. Remove any discomfort he has, stop forcing him to eat or drink things he doesn't want, stop bathing him constantly (I will still keep him clean of course) and just let him enjoy life. I have the feeling he maybe won't be with us for as long as his brothers, but that's okay. As long as he is happy and comfortable for the time he's here I can be content with that.

Thank you again to everyone for their help and advice you really have been so good to me (and him!)

Hi All

Just a message to say we lost our little Thomas last night. I came home around 5pm and he died in my arms before 7pm, he was calm and relaxed, and was buried with his brothers near our lavender plant.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who was so kind and helpful to us. We did everything we could and we probably won't ever know exactly why he was in such poor health, but we loved him so much and he had a happy and full life, even if it was a little shorter than we'd like.

Thank you x

I'm so very sorry for you. I know you did everything you could, and I hope it's some comfort to you that he's at peace from the issues that couldn't be fixed.. Tho he certainly leaves behind family that gave him all the love, help, understanding & comfort he could possibly have had. I have tears in my eyes, I grieve with you, both that he had problems upsetting to him & you, and knowing how close we come to our little ones that are most needy. Run free sweet boy..

Back