ZGT? Abscesses? Lymphnodes?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MajorQ

Hi all

New member here, hoping someone might be able to give some advice as I'm a bit conflicted!

I've had rats for many years and I currently have six, one of which is my 10 month old rex/Harley mix boy, Thomas. He has a history of abscesses, and has had to have two surgically removed they got so large. It is the opinion of myself, the breeder and the vet that he has some kind of immunodeficiency because he continues to grow lumps and bumps.

About three weeks ago I noticed a firm lump at his jaw, and in the following 2-3 days this swelled significantly, and more grew, and he was back to the vet. At this point we suspected his lymph nodes and maybe even lymphoma, so the vet aspirated them and again there was a significant amount of runny pus. He returned home to me on Tuesday of last week and there was still the lump under his jaw.

The most recent development is very foul smelling blood/discharge of the ear (same side as the firm lump). I am very confused. I would have said ZGT but there is no ulceration and there is an additional lump on his neck. Also his history of continuous abscesses.

I've attached pictures and I hope someone might be able to offer suggestions as I am at my wits end. His mood is good, eating well, bright and energetic. Been on penicillin for ten days which doesn't appear to be doing much

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8176.JPG
    IMG_8176.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_8206.JPG
    IMG_8206.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8207.JPG
    IMG_8207.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_8208.JPG
    IMG_8208.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 162
Ok I would ask your vet to look into using Chloramphenicol Palmitate or Chlorpalm. It's a very strong penetrating antibiotic that would really work on thesw deep seated abscesses. Has his teeth ever been checked especially his molars?

Thank you for your reply. The last time he was anaesthetised his teeth, mouth and tongue were checked. I had mentioned a dental abscess when I first saw the lump but he has no malocclusion.

I will look up the antibiotic now! Thanks for that suggestion

Damn lumps! I hope this one can be fixed up with just meds, poor Thomas has sure had a go of it.. I had great luck with ChlorPalm for a girl with a very deep facial infection (she also seemed to have a very poor immune system)..

I know, I feel sorry for him the poor soul. To be fair he's quite happy, except when he's being dragged to the vets or bathed or generally interfered with!

Any thoughts on whether it looks ZGT-ish?

Good news! Over the weekend and today both of these lumps have spontaneously ruptured and emptied a ton of runny yellow/green pus. So looks like they're abscesses, which is a relief. He's been bathed/flushed twice a day and I am currently waiting on a call to go and pick up the antibiotic folks recommended above. Many thanks again for all the advice and help!

That's great news! As he has recurring issues I wonder if your vet would recommend keeping him on Doxy or Baytril long-term once the Chlorpalm heals him up?

Thanks! I don't know, he's been on antibiotics all the time for just about the past 3 months, and they've still grown. We've gone through different classes and we thought the beta lactams were working bc he was on penicillin when his leg abscess healed, but these two neck ones emerged in that time as well. He himself is antibiotic resistant bacteria I think!

The nature of abscesses makes it very difficult for antibiotics to penetrate as the body walls off the infection very efficiently. Only if it bursts and goes into the blood stream will antibiotics work the way you think they should. Antibiotics CAN penetrate a little and help bring abscesses to a head and burst and drain. Now you just need to flush out the cavities twice a day with isotonic saline (recipies all over the net, just make sure its salt and water only). When you first start though, make sure to do a little dribble only, and see if he swallows. This means that the hole goes right through into his mouth and you won't be able to flush it.

Oh that's interesting, I have been flushing it and he's smacking his lips together. So it must go through to somewhere. What does this mean for healing/treatment?

Okay! Update:

The vet was unable to source chloropalm, so the pharmacist was going to look in to another antibiotic. I waited a week and still nothing (I had phoned within that time and was reassured they were on the case) so eventually I had to say look he's got two weeping abscesses you have to give me something, and I've ended up with amoxicillin again. I don't know if it will do anything, but at least it's something in the meantime.

I don't know if they will ever find a suitable antibiotic for him, does anyone know if I can source it myself online? I'm loathe to do this but they are truly incompetent (I would go to another vet but they are by far the largest one here and in the best position to access goods/services). Today I went in to pick up more amoxicillin and they insisted I'd already collected it two days previous 'at my consultation' which was a telephone appointment *eyeroll*

The only thing that concerns me is that his ear is still weeping. It's like clear yellowish fluid and some blood, and it smells horrendous. I don't know if it's an infection and the antibiotics will maybe clear it, or if it is still a ZGT under the abscess. Ongoing...

I really wish you lived where I live because my vet gives me bottles of Chlorpalm like it’s nothing. Mind you, I have a rabbit and multiple rats that go to the clinic and they only give me a bottle as needed, but it’s usually unopened when I get it so I have leftovers.

They're driving me crazy. I'm at the point where I'm going to start asking the doctors at the hospital where I work if they'll just give me some! o_O

It's such a shame for him. He smells horrendous and is constantly cleaning himself. I've also noticed he seems to be eating awkwardly, he kind of chews things and spits them out and eats them again. I don't know what's going on, it's an awful state of affairs. Do either of you know if ZGT ear blood smells typically? This stuff is like thick dark syrup in consistency and reeks of infection

My heart aches for you both! I know nothing of ZGT, tho my Fidget had something that probably was that and I didn't know it at the time (she's the one ChlorPalm fixed up). Her ear gunk smelled.
Did you check with the pharmacy to see if that page helps them access ChlorPalm? I dunno if human Dr's can prescribe for animals, if you know one it's sure worth a try to find out if they will, they could look at this thread, or maybe even examine Thomas.. a long shot, but it's horrendous you're getting no help from the vet...

Haha it's okay I was only kidding about the doctors!

The vets are closed now, and the one I see is on holiday so I plan to speak to her next week. Plan B is phoning other vets and asking if they can source it but if this one can't I doubt it because as I say they are the biggest by a wide margin. They're a hindrance for sure, but that's been my experience with all vets since having rats!

I've found (as have other ratparents, and apparently you too) that some very well-regarded vets are no good with rats.. Plan B sounds like a good plan A, nothing to lose, and a phone call is easier than the agony you're going thru.. God I wish Luna&Ralph could pass it to you thru the computer. Kisses to Thomas..

Back