Your opinion on cage size and which one

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytippytoes

Im starting to hate my FN really its so darn huge and I live in a tiny studio. One third of it is theirs LOL. Im thinking of trading for something else. I like the Martins cause its slimmer (but taller) and I believe it hides the contents better. Not only that it is easier to get out the door to clean. Is there another cage Im not seeing? Or do you think I just need to move this thing around a bit until I find the right spot? Thats something I just thought of now. I should add they have a playpen that surrounds the cage and maybe that whats driving me nuts. I cannot stand eye clutter so thats my problem. Any input ? Tiny apt. dwellers are you out there? LOL

Martins are good cages.
If you get a cage make sure it is powder coated and has a base of at least 30 inches by 18 inches, with height for levels.
The accepted standard for size is at least 2 cubic feet per rat of cage space, with larger being better.
There are cage calculators online to help you figure out the max # of rats that can live in a cage.

I have a Super Pet Exotic and for my two boys it works great. I find it easy to clean, take apart, and move.

To me the biggest issue I think you have is the play pen. The cage itself is contained and most cages for more then two rats are not much smaller, but having a play pen there just subtracts from you space. Could you collapse the play pen and only bring it out when you need it?

chelshorsegirl said:
I have a Super Pet Exotic and for my two boys it works great. I find it easy to clean, take apart, and move.

To me the biggest issue I think you have is the play pen. The cage itself is contained and most cages for more then two rats are not much smaller, but having a play pen there just subtracts from you space. Could you collapse the play pen and only bring it out when you need it?

Thats what I was thinking . I have all there tubes and boxes and balls...etc in there. So I was thinking it was great just leaving it out. But what I can do is throw everything in a bag and throw it in the bathroom(shower really yes thats how small my place is LOL) when Im not using it. Then I realized if I move the cage to the corner instead of the middle of the wall it def. would save on eye clutter. :lol: Hope it works! :wink2:

For ease of cleaning I would stick with the FN. i was so relieved to finally have mine after having a Superpet My First ferret home like FOREVER.

sometimes it just takes moving the furniture around untill its perfect. Ive lived in my tiny apartment for over a year (we are waiting on the perfect house to come alone) and people joke that its always different every time they come over but now its JUSt Right... only took 4 tries lol

I have a fn, and two Feisty ferret cages. I love both, it is easier to clean the FN by far, but you can make the FF cage just as easy to clean. I have a 2 story FF and a self made 3 story one. I love these because they are smaller, i can keep both sets of rats in a smaller area, and wheel them around for out time.

Sorry meant to add, that even my 3 story cage still fits out the door when I hose it down, they are alot easier to get in and out of the house

I know this was posted last month but wanted to say I went with the Martins Rudd..powdered coated of course. I think it will be better cause I can clean it better(its hard moving that FN!),its on the floor so the playpen will fit better it will be closer to the wall causing less of a eyesore (I hope!) and it will help not having the rattys hide under the cage when they belong in it!!

Back