Young Rat had a cyst, lost weight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Carthago

Hello, I registered here to find a answer as to why my rat suddenly lost weight.

my rat Luna, about a few weeks old hurt herself near the throat and a cyst/abscess developed there, due to her being sick I thought it was just a salivary gland infection and gave her some medicine but it didn't go down (she got that cyst/abscess around 3 days ago but it was punctured and cleaned at the vet yesterday) and now it appears to be that she is weak and lost alot of weight and I don't know why exactly, she was very playful or rather said hyperactive just 2 days ago but now she is weak and I fear that she isn't gonna make it the next 2 days and I'd like to know if there is something to prevent that.

We give the rats normal rat food from the pet store and they also get sweet corn, cooked peas, fruits, cucumber and anything they are pretty much allowed to eat.
the other 2 rats that are with her in the cage are completely fine except her.

If the rat isn’t eating you may have to syringe feed them blended soft food or things like baby food and make sure they are still drinking water

Hello, I registered here to find a answer as to why my rat suddenly lost weight.

my rat Luna, about a few weeks old hurt herself near the throat and a cyst/abscess developed there, due to her being sick I thought it was just a salivary gland infection and gave her some medicine but it didn't go down (she got that cyst/abscess around 3 days ago but it was punctured and cleaned at the vet yesterday) and now it appears to be that she is weak and lost alot of weight and I don't know why exactly, she was very playful or rather said hyperactive just 2 days ago but now she is weak and I fear that she isn't gonna make it the next 2 days and I'd like to know if there is something to prevent that.

We give the rats normal rat food from the pet store and they also get sweet corn, cooked peas, fruits, cucumber and anything they are pretty much allowed to eat.
the other 2 rats that are with her in the cage are completely fine except her.
Rat needs antibiotics, anti-inflammatory as well. Try baby food, it's a cereal made from rice. Packed with nutrients (watch out for over doing iron), look for low iron in it as ratty is much smaller in weight than a baby and iron can do more harm than good in high doses.
I used plane rice baby cereal for under 4$. He was so weak and it did help a little, especially if there's antibiotics in the system, something in the tummy will be comforting. But if ratty is on the way out, all u can do is make them comfortable or euthanize them. ❤️🐀

Back