Young pregnant rat help needed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucykrauza89

Hi guys!

Any help or advice would me immensely appreciated 🙏

I’ve taken on a very young female looks like she got pregnant at the earliest stage possible 🤦🏻‍♀️ She’s gone quite big although not massive as she is probably 8/9 weeks old as I’m unsure 😐 (rescued from bait breeders).

I have several other females she is housed with should i separate her and put her in her own birthing box as precaution? I’m just worried the other females will interfere I’d rather take her out and go from there than leave her in. But first I’m hoping you guys will give me the right advice before I do anything 🧐❤️.

Thank you in advance lucy xxx

Please post pictures of a front view of her belly and side views.
If possible, weigh her daily at the same time with a digital scale that weighs accurately to 1 gram and has a tare function. This will show you if there is a pattern of weight gain. Pregnant rats gain the most week during the last week of pregnancy.

Set up a maternity cage for her that will be baby safe, Give her strips of paper towel for nest building
Please see our Reference Thread for info REFERENCE Thread - Read Only | The Rat Shack (ratshackforum.com)

Rat gestation is usually 21-23 days but it is best to move her to a safe maternity cage before that. Ideally a maternity cage should have a deep plastic base and narrow bar spacing. I use soft paper bedding with paper towels they rip apart for nesting. You can give a house but if Mom is of uncertain temperament or you are worried about the labour or the babies health you can just give he4 extra bedding. No shelves or hammocks til the babies are 2.5-3 weeks old, and remove any wood chew toys as they can splinter and hurt thin baby skin.
Mom will still need to come out daily so use this time to bond with her before the birth.

Back