Young Girlie sleeping oddly.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chel

Hi there, I looked in the forums for the answer to this question but didn't find it so I'm sorry if its repeating someone. My girl Petunia (who is not yet full grown) has been laying on her side lately. She got a new cagemate about 2 weeks ago and they've been getting along fine but in the last couple of days Petunia has been staying on the bottom of the cage during the day while Rose, (a slightly older Dumbo) sleeps in the hammock. Petunia has been laying on he side which looks rather peculiar but since I'm new to owning rats I'm wondering if this is a warning sign. Also when she is on the upper levels she tends to keep her body very flat to the ground and I'm wondering if this could be to help her breath better :( . They have carefresh bedding that is changed regularly and neither have that red stuff around their nose or eyes. I havent been able to hear her breathing either so I don't know. Maybe she is just getting comfortable? Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

Mine sometime's sleep on their backs, heads under their bodies, on their sides, etc.

I think she's just getting comfortable.

I wish my girls layed like that more often! I think it's so cute.

But I know how you feel, the first time I saw it I thought the rat was dead!

I wonder if they are still working out who is dominant.
Are they still hanging out together and getting along?

Is it very warm? Sometimes they lay on their sides or backs when warm ... or as previously said, she may feel more comfortable in that position.

I had some health troubles with another rat I had, who unfortunately didn't make it, so now I'm a little paranoid. I wouldn't hesitate to take her to the vet but why stress her out for no reason right? It may be too warm in here for them.... I could try the heat...
I was thinking about the dominance thing as well, Rose seems to be dominant and they were sleeping together and stuff, but only lately have they been sleeping apart. They still play together. Maybe they had a falling out?
If I pick one up and put her with the other they stay there and make themselves comfortable,but haven't been going there on their own.

Maybe keep an eye on her but I wouldn't worry. Like lj said mine sleep like that too, on their sides, on their backs with all four legs in the air. It's so cute.

Back