Young females not getting alone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furmom

I am a new rat mom. I have two young female rats: Kali, a hooded top ear who's about 6-7 months old and Lilith, a hooded dumbo who's about 4 months old. I got Kali along with a litter mate who I named Harley (she was a cream hooded odd eye and my baby). A couple months later i fell in love with Lilith and brought her home. I was keeping her a in small cage temporarily while I introduced the three of them in neutral territory. Everything was going ok, but unfortunately, after about 4 days Harley became seriously ill. (I have since become aware that she probably had CURI, and Lilith likely introduced bacteria from the pet store that her immune system couldn't handle.) Since I only had one extra small cage I decided to put Lilith in the large cage with Kali and quarantine Harley. Unfortunately, despite treatment, and a brief recovery, Harley passed away about two weeks later. At that point Kali and Lilith seemed to be getting alone fine so I left them together. That was about 2 months ago. The last week or so Kali and Lilith seem to be fighting, a LOT. There cage is in my bedroom, and at night one of them seems to be sqeaking/squeeling every half hour or so. I think Lilith is the primary aggressor, as I have witnessed her chase Kali, jump unto her back and nip at between her shoulders, drawing squeaks from Kali. I've been checking them both for any injuries daily. Today I noticed there was a little bit of blood in Kali's fur near her rump and on one arm. I checked her out and couldn't find any injury (I checked Lilith as well with the same result) but clearly the blood came from somewhere. Even if they aren't significantly injuring each other, I worried one or both of them may be being stressed by the other, but I'm reluctant to separate them and have them both be alone. What should I do? Please help!

What color are they? Its possible you are seeing porphyfin on their skin if you cannot locate any injuries. However, that can be a sign of stress or illness. Have you heard them sneezing? Squeaking is their way of telling the other they are playing too hard. With my boys when one is more aggressive or too aggressive (and around the age of your girls) that usually means its time for a neuter. I'm not sure about girls though and their hormones.

they're hooded but the areas where the blood was are white. I thought it might be porphyrin but i didn't see any evidence for that on either of their eyes or noses either. I heard Lilith sneeze once or twice a couple of days ago, but nothing since. Regardless, I'm concerned about the frequency of the too rough "play", as indicated by the squeaking and that someone (most likely Kali) is going to end up overly stressed or hurt.

That sounds all pretty normal to me, these girls are in their prime and they do go after each other if one goes into heat. It's usually mutual and the squeaks are usually light protests but nothing more. But keep checking the girls over for any scabs, that would indicate a mite or lice issue which in turn can make rats quite grumpy.

First off, thank you to everyone who replied to my initial concerns.
I've been letting my girls do their thing and have been trying to be less concerned about their tussles, but now one of them has drawn blood from the other and my concerns are renewed.
Shortly after I fed them last night they got into a quarrel and Lilith made a very loud, very high pitched squeak (more like a scream really) and then ran and hid behind one of their hide aways. I was concerned because of the noise so I picked her up and took a look at her and the inside of her ear was bleeding quite a bit. I cleaned it and put some styptic powder on it to stop the bleeding but there's a gash on her ear about 1cm long and I think it may be pierced through in one spot (I didn't want to pull on it too much to get a good look but it was bleeding a little bit from the back as well).
This is the first time either of them has actually injured the other and, after cleaning Lilith's wound and feeding them separately, I put them back together and they seem to be getting along normally but I certainly don't want any more injuries to happen.
Should I separate them or wait and see if it was a one time thing? Should I continue feeding them separately at least?
Also, any recommendations on caring for the wound on Lilith's ear?

Last edited:
I would not separate them. Rats' teeth are very sharp. Honestly, if one truly meant to injure the other, it would be quite severe. One girl probably grabbed the other's ear, and then that girl pulled away, causing the laceration.
My sweet nakie man Albert recently had a half moon shaped laceration on the back of his neck. I have my suspicions of who did it, but no proof. There are six rats living in the cage, so... I left things as is. The cut has healed and everyone is same-old, same-old.

ETA: I would leave her ear alone and just monitor it to make sure it is healing OK. They should have free choice rat blocks, and when giving out treats always have something for everyone.

Last edited:
Ear injuries are very common and definitely not a sign of aggression, just an owie during a squabble. Squabbles are very normal in colonies. Don't separate!

How big is the cage? A cage that is too small can cause issues or a cage that is too big can also cause issues.
Any scabs on the girls? a mite issue can make rats quite grumpy.
Any changes into their routine? That can can stress out a rat.

There cage is about 2' long, 1' wide and 2 1/2- 3' tall with four levels including the bottom (I built it so I can't give you a brand or anything to look at for reference). There's always at least two hideouts in it, a wheel, PVC pipe and/or ramps between levels, a hammock and multiple toys in the cage. There's two food dishes. I give them an excess of rat blocks (which they hide throughout their cage; I always find at least a large handful of them when I clean their cage) and a small amount of a seed mix type food each evening. Any other treats I give them (fruit, yogurt, popcorn, etc) I either give them by hand (or spoon in the case of yogurt, haha) or make into a toy ("pinatas", fruit-ka-bobs, etc). They definitely don't have mites. Other than the bite on Lilith's ear and some occasional dry skin on the end of Kali's tail, they don't have any other skin problems. No scabs, redness, hair loss, etc. And I don't see any "moving dust" on them or anywhere in their cage.
I'm a grad student and I work in retail so, unfortunately they don't usually have a super consistent schedule, though I try to keep things as consistent as possible. It had been three days since I cleaned their cage when the injury occurred. I clean there cage twice a week and I always leave a couple things untouched. They never seem to be terribly bothered by the cage cleanings.

Back