young dumbo rat with hunched back

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XViVidX

i have noticed that one of my rats koala has a hunched back, when she walks it is hunched and so on. She is about 5 or 6 months old. She is a rescue and is still rather small. She has a cage mate that is her sister and her sister doesn't have a hunched back. She is eating and she doesn't seem sick. Is this normal for my dumbo rat to do or is there a problem? Please advise.

Is this new? How does her coat look? Have there been any other changes in her behaviour or physical condition lately? Can you take a picture?

she has always had a hunch but recently i notice it more she looks like a ferret when they walk. Her coat has always been very shaggy looking she was half bald when i got her. She does look skinnier though but it just seems to be around her abdomen, it looks like it is slightly sunken she has porphyrin around her nose/eyes but she has always had that from when i first got her my vet told me that it was normal but otherwise she is eating and drinking and no other signs of pain or discomfort. Could it be that she is growing?

When rats suck in their sides it can be an indication of moderate to severe pain. The porphyrin, bald spots, and posture, can all indicate an illness. If it were my rat I would really try to get her into the vet on Saturday or Monday at the latest. You can try to make her comfortable with infant Advil for the pain, but the pain is likely a symptom of an underlying illness.

I should add, since you live in Toronto Dr. Munn is IMO the best option... both cost wise and in terms of experience. There's a thread in the vet section about him or you can look him up at www.drmunn.ca

It might be something serious... that's what we're trying to tell you, you need to get her to a rat knowledgeable vet ASAP... it sounds like she's in pain. Dr. Munn is the best vet in Toronto, one of the ONLY rat knowledgeable vets, so I'd take her there.

Back