Yesterday's News

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wie369

So I took everyones advise and got a bag of YN. So far I am very less than impressed. There is a mess in the cage and it smells worse than it did before. We have been using it for about a month now.

I have 2 male intact rats, they use the box for the most part (even though less with YN). Before I was using Premier Pet Easy Comfort Sifted Softwood Bedding. They seemed to like it, but it did leave little shavings around. Not terrible and about the same as YN.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I know everyone has different likes and such, but everyone seems to be fans of YN.

thanks
s

I :heart: yesterday's news.
I just wish the little buggers would use it more for poop and not food storage!! :roll:
I have 7 girls and my Niece 7 boys and they both dig in it.
The boys cage is always smellier.
If only they would come out with something that would neutralize the pee smell.

I´ve used YN for almost three years(I´ve recently changed to a similar brand due to cost, since I use a lot), and I´m very happy with it.
Had three males that were not toilet trained, and the cage smelled very little.
I´ve also been satisified with back2nature, but that´s a lot more expensive here..

Rats are more likely to use litter boxes if you use a different bedding in the litter box as in the rest of the cage and put the litter box where the rats use the washroom the most, not where you want them to use the washroom. When I had big groups in my CN I would put just enough YN in the litter box to cover the bottom (I still do this) and dump it out every day or two. You use very little bedding that way and you keep smells to a minimum.

xKrAzEdShOoTeRx said:
I heard that "CAREFRESH NATRUAL" was the best, i would try that :p

Carefresh can be dusty and irritates some rats' respiratory tracts and it is not as effective as YN at reducing ammonia.

My approx one year old rescue rat, Stuart, came to me less that 2 months ago. He was not used to a litter tray with his previous owners. So, when I put one in the cage with YN as litter, he was slightly confused, but he did get the hang of it. The only problem is that he won't use the litter - just kicks it out of the box and then poops in the empty tray. I guess this is better than pooping anywhere and everywhere. Now I just put the empty tray in his cage and he's fine. However, of course now I'm forced to empty and clean his tray several times a day or the whole room will smell. :gaah:

The only thing I don't like about the YN is the size of the pellets. They seem so large and hard for such litle feet. Sometimes I wonder if it might be uncomfortable for them.

Back