Yesterday's News for bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Harlan bedding? The pelleted paper I just received a bag of, and I've not opened it yet but it's smell absorption properties should be about the same as YN.

I can't speak for the diamond coat, but anything similar to carefresh will not be ace for odor control.

In my opinion, the pelleted papers are the best.... YN and Mewsprint are what I have used.

If you are still smelling them after trying all these beddings and after regular cleanings, then you must be reacting to the smell of the rats themselves, not their urine. Bedding will not fix this.

If the smell is THAT OFFENSIVE, then you need to decide if it is something you can live with. We have given you multiple ideas and none of them seem to work for you. Outside of bedding changes, hammock changes, additives like ammocat and an air purifier (outside of your AC)... I think that covers it.

Boys are MUCH more smellier than girls.
I agree with Moon, you need to decide whether you can live with this smell or not.
I have over 50 rats here, mostly males, and yes they smell, but it's not horrible. So maybe you have a higher sensitivity to smell?
I use litter boxes, and YN, air purifiers, and regular cleaning....

The best that has worked for me and those boys are Mew's Print and the white rocks. They were cleaned regularily (once a week the pan and the litter) and it was fine for us.

I bought the white rocks today along with a different kind of bedding that is recycled newspapers and it has baking soda in it. I will stop giving the Fab Four baby food for a bit as that might be causing the smell to be stronger. Now Prince has been brave to come out of the cage and seems to enjoy waddling around :)

How much baby food are you feeding them. It should be as a treat only, rarely. The harlan is used as their main diet. If you supplement anything it should be veggies and fruit less often (no oranges or citruis of any kind).

Sorry to jack this thread.

One small jar a whole week. Going to cut it down to less than that.

On topic. I just used the new bedding with the white rocks, its called Sunseed Fresh World Bedding. It is a lot softer than YN or Mewsprint

I don't feed the jarred food. I never have. IMO you are feeding them way too much. They don't need that. I feed dry baby food as a rare (once a month) treat. It's MUCH better to give them veggies instead of that. It's healthier. Honestly I would stop feeding them that. I'm not sure what type you are feeding them.

Harlan you have is all the nutrients they need. Feeding them that sort of stuff (the babyfood) will make them eat less of the harlan.

Just a suggestion to help you out. :)

Mine do too.

Only reason I bring this up is that I am really stingy on what I feed the girls and they have maintained their weight wonderfully and are super healthy. The are free fed harlan (and they horde it too), they have multigrain cheerios that they get like one every week or so, we have those 'little men' I told you about and they get them very rarely. I also have dog bones that they get every few weeks or so as a treat. They share that amongst themselves. I'm feeding Olivia baby food twice a day with ensure and whipping cream ONLY because she's got PT and can't eat hard foods and is losing weight drastically. I feed veggies occasionally and fruit even less. It's something that has worked very well for me. Yes they love their treats, they always will but limiting them is best. Mine love the harlan and snatch it away from my hands. I would rather have them do that hands down everytime.

Well, after 2 months of trying, my rats just won't use their litter! I've considered putting Yesterday's News all over the first floor in my Critter Nation but it would be a horrible waste of Yn. It takes so much and it only lastes a couple days. :sad3: Is there any of you who do that? YN on the first floor of FN or CN?

Back