Yesterday's News for bedding?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerson

Has anyone here used Yesterday's News as bedding? If so, how did you find it? Did it do well with odour? Did you find that the price was worth it? I have been using fabric with my girls but I have decided to switch to bedding because they are not litter trained, and they love to chew holes in the corners and hide their food underneath, which ends up getting soaked with urine and it's just not going too well lol. Thanks!

Everybody in my house (rats, cat, rabbit) are on Yesterday's News. Well actually at the moment everybody in the house is on Exquisicat odor-free newspaper pellets because the 40lb bag was on sale for cheap. But the same thing, really.

Personally, I LOVE Yesterday's news. It's heavier than Carefresh or other beddings so it doesn't get flung about as much, and if it does scatter it's much easier to clean out of carpet than cat litter (for the cat). Also very little to no dust and quite absorbent. With carefresh, you'd still get big nasty puddles that had soaked through the bedding and into the pan (especially with my rabbit -- yech). Not so with the Yesterday's news.

Overall I really like it. I actually started using it for my cat because I'm allergic to most cat litter. She had been using Swheat scoop and we loved it but it got all over the place and into the carpet, so I swapped her to YN and after falling in love with it for her decided to put everybody on it. It's REALLY nice to have ONE big bag of litter instead of buying 2-3 different kinds.

One tip, if you do use it for your ratties, buy the cat bag instead of the small animal bag. It's a couple dollars cheaper and it's the exact same product. I think the cat bag is orange, the small animal is purple. I've also heard you can buy it at Target and bypass supporting pet stores :thumbup:

I've always used Yesterday's News (unscented) and I find that it is really great for odour control. People who've tried many different kinds of bedding say that YN also has much less dust than the others.

If you live in Ontario there is a similar (and very inexpensive) product with a similar name. Lilspaz68 uses it and likes it. I've never seen in down east, though.

YN varies in price at different places. Out here, the cheapest place to buy it is Sobey's (grocery chain), but they are often out of stock. Global Pet stores sell it at a good price, too. I buy the 30 lb bag.

We buy it too and it is definitely our first choice for litter. We buy ours at WalMart. It is pretty cheap there too.

I use it for my bunny and now for my ratties yet after one day I can still smell them :(

I am also using Ammo Cat. But still the smell is there.

But we still love them VERY VERY MUCH!!!

I use Yesterday's News or Mewsprint (the same thing, but from Pet Valu).. I've tried a couple of other beddings and didn't like any of them.

YN/Mewsprint is the only litter I'd consider if you are doing fabric and litter pans. Everything else is too light.

I have used all kinds of litter and Yeterday's News is by far the best. It is very good at odor control for the urine and poop smell.
Keep in mind rats have a natural body odor and that is not masked by the YN.... To be honest, I LOVE the natural rat smell.

We tried my ratties on aspen and they hated it. All they ever did was push it out of the litter pan and onto the floor.
Yesterdays News (or the Mewsprint stuff) is great!!! I find it control the smell pretty well and that's saying a lot since I live in a 1 bedroom apt and the FN takes up a good 1/8th of my living space :p

I have found that at my stores, YN works out to be about the same as Mewsprint is a slightly smaller bag.

Jo I'm surprised you didn't get any of the pelleted paper bedding from the Harlan run.

Moon said:
I have found that at my stores, YN works out to be about the same as Mewsprint is a slightly smaller bag.

Jo I'm surprised you didn't get any of the pelleted paper bedding from the Harlan run.

I think she did, actually. Correct me if im wrong but I think she oredered something like 35 bags?

There is a different between YN and Mew's Print, YN doens't have any baking soda in it, Mew's Print does.

I've used both I find Mew's Print a little better then YN. I love both of them. Definately worth the money.

Christie said:
Moon said:

I think she did, actually. Correct me if im wrong but I think she oredered something like 35 bags?

lmao the numbers from that run still make me laugh. 2.55 tonnes ROFL

Yesterday's News or Mews Print aren't available in the UK, but i have tried maaaaaany a type of litter on my rats. From wood shavings, to chunks of wood (cant remember what it is.. maybe aspen? they have it in vivariums sometimes), to cardboard squares, to wood cat litter, the list goes on. I ALWAYS go back to paper based litter though. I find it holds the smell and moisture better than anything else, and of course it is healthier for our ratties (also it doesn't matter if they eat it lol). There is no possibility of allergys like there is from wood etc.
I luff it! I recommend it to all my friends too

Christie said:
Moon said:

Oh no... not that much. Only 30 bags. :lol:

Just a side comment from the peanut gallery: I love yesterdays news for odor control but my rats really seem to dislike the way it feels on their feet, so i have a 10 pound bag of YN thats getting used slowly because i mix it in with my rats favorite called Sunseed Fresh World Bedding. I have to say that this is my favorite because it's still got the absorbancy of the recycled newspaper but it also is very soft so its the best of both YN and CareFresh in my opinion.

Back