yes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, welcome! The kibble you use, is it a rat specific like Oxbow Adult Rat Food, or is it a generic "rodent food"? As for the yogurt, it should be alright in small amounts however if you're looking for a way to cool him down frozen baby food(with rat-safe ingredients) in ice-cube trays and pea fishing could be great ideas!(water in a bowl with peas, let them go crazy)
How long did you wait with the foods you tried? Rats naturally "test" foods beforehand to make sure it won't make them sick by nibbling it and leaving it for later!

As you are new to owning rats and seem willing to learn I would like to ask a few questions not related to diet. What kind of bedding does he have? Do you keep him in a cage or a tank? Have you thought about getting him a friend? Rats are highly social creatures and while human interactions are great, there's nothing that can beat another rat as a companion especially if he isn't with you constantly.

hi! its normal for nervous rats to be a bit cautious about new foods. they are prey animals, and want to make sure it wont hurt them. introduce them slowly rather than all at once as to not upset their stomach too horribly much (and because its a pain to scoop a litterbox after, lol). make sure the vegetables youre feeding are not too high in liquid, as that can also cause stomach issues. personally, my rats LOVE the shunamite diet. it costs me about 50 dollars to make ~4-5 months of food for my 3 boys. theres a facebook group on facebook about it, i highly recommend joining it! yogurt is also fine, just keep in mind they are lactose intolerant and keep it in small quantities. mine loove oui coconut yogurt, its one of their favorite treats (sans mealworms and chicken apple baby food)

if you dont have the energy to make the shunamite diet (which is totally fair, no judgement there!) oxbow and mazuri are probably the best store bought food available! i do not recommend any store-bought mixes or blocks that are marketed towards multiple animals (such as rats and hamsters) as not likely to be a nutritionally sound food.

feeling slightly stabbed in the back :oops:

Raw sweet potatoes are toxic to rats because it triggers excess production of body fluids which causes difficulty in breathing.
When this condition persists with stomach upsets from undigested potatoes, they will die in less than a day.Because rats can’t digest raw sweet potatoes. This later causes bloating in them and can even kill them.

But cooking the sweet potatoes at high temp neutralizes the properties that are toxic. This way the sweet potato will be safe for your little fella.rats can not eat sweet potatoes.

Sweet potato, especially in its uncooked form, is toxic to rats, and should not be fed to them.
Raw sweet potato contains compounds that form cyanide in the stomach. Spoiled Produce: Spoiled produce, or even produce and other foods not visibly spoiled but still old, contain deadly toxins and can have unseen bacteria and mold spores

1681822931028.png

Nobody informed me about the spinach or sweet potato??
I have got the impression this group is inactive and non responsive After having not 1 response from my thread I think ill delete my account and move elsewhere If i am met with zero responses or half arsed responses again. ugh.😒 might aswell feed the rat cyanide !😨 .
CARO.ca Got Cyanide? CARO at the Forefront of Cyanide Testing

Last edited:
feeling slightly stabbed in the back :oops:

Raw sweet potatoes are toxic to rats because it triggers excess production of body fluids which causes difficulty in breathing.
When this condition persists with stomach upsets from undigested potatoes, they will die in less than a day.Because rats can’t digest raw sweet potatoes. This later causes bloating in them and can even kill them.

But cooking the sweet potatoes at high temp neutralizes the properties that are toxic. This way the sweet potato will be safe for your little fella.rats can not eat sweet potatoes.

Sweet potato, especially in its uncooked form, is toxic to rats, and should not be fed to them.
Raw sweet potato contains compounds that form cyanide in the stomach. Spoiled Produce: Spoiled produce, or even produce and other foods not visibly spoiled but still old, contain deadly toxins and can have unseen bacteria and mold spores

View attachment 16434
Nobody informed me about the spinach or sweet potato??
I have got the impression this group is inactive and non responsive After having not 1 response from my thread I think ill delete my account and move elsewhere If i am met with zero responses or half arsed responses again. ugh.😒 might aswell feed the rat cyanide !😨 not that any of you would educate me.
CARO.ca Got Cyanide? CARO at the Forefront of Cyanide Testing
I apologize for you not getting the responses you were after! The forum does have bouts of(sometimes rather long) inactivity as we're all human and can get preoccupied with other things and not many people are looking to join lately. I always try to respond when I know the answer to something but I am at fault for forgetting now again with my ADHD. If you'd like I can work up a list of some foods I know are toxic/should be given in heavy moderation(I tend to avoid just to be safe) along with some I personally give my girls.

Again I sincerely apologize for the lack of responses, I will try my best to help you as much as possible.

Hi hun, i am sorry for the confusion it has not been frustration towards you at all!!!! your advise has been more helpful than you know💜 thankyou so much for your kindness, i would love to have a list of safe food! i apologize for the miscommunication. nothing but a positive mindset for you 💜
I will get that list going once I get a moment of free time, I'm going all over the place today!

stHi hun, i am sorry for the confusion it has not been frustration towards you at all!!!! your advise has been more helpful than you know💜 thankyou so much for your kindness, i would love to have a list of safe food! i apologize for the miscommunication. nothing but a positive mindset for you 💜

I will get that list going once I get a moment of free time, I'm going all over the place today!
hi! its normal for nervous rats to be a bit cautious about new foods. they are prey animals, and want to make sure it wont hurt them. introduce them slowly rather than all at once as to not upset their stomach too horribly much (and because its a pain to scoop a litterbox after, lol). make sure the vegetables youre feeding are not too high in liquid, as that can also cause stomach issues. personally, my rats LOVE the shunamite diet. it costs me about 50 dollars to make ~4-5 months of food for my 3 boys. theres a facebook group on facebook about it, i highly recommend joining it! yogurt is also fine, just keep in mind they are lactose intolerant and keep it in small quantities. mine loove oui coconut yogurt, its one of their favorite treats (sans mealworms and chicken apple baby food)
its a rat not a baby

Back