Would you rather have male or female rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you rather have male or female rats

• Female

• Male

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I had three boys and only one girl I knew I needed a couple more little girls. The cage is just not as much fun without some playful curious little girls. But I do love my big men...such hunks.

All my rats are spayed and neutered...

My first love is the girls...I love my boys, but a if I had a choice between a girl and a boy in a terrible rescue situation and could only take one, it would be the girl.

I like having both ...
but if you want to have both sexes in the same household, it is very important to have at least one sex spayed or neutered.
Not only is there a risk of accidental pregnancy, but many rats are very stressed by this type of situation.

(I realise that a very few people have been able to manage this. Ratties are so smart & motivated, and people are not 100% perfect all of the time, so these individuals are an exception.)

I've had girlies my whole life, not sure why, it just turned out that way. They're so playful, my Matilda even chases cat toys around, but I do sometimes wish I could have a big, snuggly, man rat~ ~ <3

I use to have a preference for females because of their curiosity and playfulness until I adopted my first boy - Byron. He sold me on how great the boys could be. Now I really don't have a preference.

Both! I feel like having both sex brings balance to a group. Plus you have access to a laid back boy when you need one, and can get a laugh over an energetic girl when you need it! :giggle:

The best of both world!

I voted for both. If I had to choose it would be girls. I thought boys would have been my preference so thats what I got at first but girls are amazing and so entertaining.

I dunno !! So far I've shared company with a total of seven ratties, only one boy. So it's hard to choose! I love the girls like crazy -- they are so hilarious! Tons of energy. Tons of fun. Our boy rat was more the character and also great company.

Think I'll need to be around more boys before I can decide. :lol:

I voted male. Although, I've only known one girl. She was a doll. When I think about taking a rat in, I think about who I am most equipped to care for. I would never adopt girls without getting them spayed, but unfortunately I can't always afford to spay every rat that comes in the door. And I am also not financially set to deal with lots of mammary tumors. With boys, I feel no obligation to have them neutered, unless it's for behaviour issues. Timewise and moneywise, boys fit my schedule and seem to be my ideal roommates. Someday when I get paid more and have a more flexible schedule, I will feel comfortable having girls.

Definitely boys for me!
I have both now(3 boys, 1 girl), but I prefer the laidback type.. I just can't keep up with the active girls.

Back