would nuking work?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I bought some paper based bedding at Walmart Friday evening and stuck it in the freezer.
Will need to use it today with expected arrivals (4 day old babies) but it hasn't been in the freezer long enough ...

Would putting it into the microwave kill off any parasites?
Any idea on how long etc.

If you don't have something in the microwave to absorb the energy (ie food is water-based) then I think you would be in danger of ruining your microwave.

I have heard of others attempting to nuke and causing real issues with their microwaves. I think you are just going to have to chance the bedding and pray this batch isn't infected.

just use as much as you need for today and keep the rest in the freezer for the full time you like to freeze it.

i havent ever frozen bedding/litter and i havent had a mite outbreak in over a year and a half

What about putting a small cup of water in a microwavable dish in with the bedding (to the side of course) to allow for some moisture? Just a thought. I know I nuke majic bags in the microwave with a small cup of water.

*You posted the same time I did* lol

Eeek babies, how did you stumble across those??

At least the stuff has been in the freezer for almost two days, which will minimize the risk. ryelle's suggestion of taking out just what you need for today sounds like the safest option.

(Babies!!! :joy:)

Back