Worried... sleeping a lot?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minion

It's probably too early to be worrying, but I just brought a baby rat home yesterday and all he seems interested in doing is going into his hide to sleep. His friend (who I also got yesterday) is quite inquisitive and active when in their enclosure, though at the same time a little older/bigger than him, and the contrast between their behaviour is what's concerning me. His breathing seems normal, eyes and ears are clear, and has no excessive sneezing... he just sleeps a lot. When I take him out he is fairly active though, it's just once he goes into his cage he seems interested in nothing other then sleeping. I'm assuming he's just hiding because he's still adjusting to his new environment and/or because he's still quite young, but I can't help but worry. :?

I guess I just want to know if this normal or if I'm right to be worried...

/paranoid new mommy ugh

i too have a similair problem, but im pretty sure that its just because he is a baby dont worry too much is he showing intrest in food and when you go to the cage does he awaken quickly and seem intrested in you?

He does seem interested in food; the larger of the two has been bringing lab blocks into their hide and the little one has been eating them as well as some carrots. When I get into his cage he usually jumps awake since he's still a little skittish, though he doesn't seem very interested in me and prefers to stay hidden. I checked on him a bit ago and he was actually awake and cleaning himself, but he still refuses to leave the hide. I'm mostly just worried he isn't getting water, since the bottle is across the tank (working on getting a better cage!).

Hey guys. As long as your rats look/sound healthy, it's really nothing at all to worry about. Ecpecially since, like you said, they are active around you/out of the cage. And even if they weren't, and just preferred to cuddle, it wouldn't be a big deal. Some rats just have different personalities. Also, it's most likely that he already explored most of his cage, and therefore there isn't much to do except stash the food your bring him and lounge around. My rats do the same. They only start playing with each other, and only for a bit, when I'm falling asleep at night.
If he can move around(as in his feet are working, he doesn't seem in pain) but just doesn't want to, then he's pretty much a-okay!

(just read your second post)
Check if the water bottle is working. Is it a gravity-based one? Push up on the little ball, little droplets of water should come out. If you think he's still a baby and doesn't know how to use it, then you can set out a little dish with water in it(you're going to have to change/clean it out a few times a day). However, if he's cleaning himself, then he's fine. Don't worry so much! x]

Work on that getting a non-tank cage.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but with the last few days I'm feeling a lot more confident about him. I've seen him drinking from their bottle, but wasn't hearing the typical clicking sound it makes so I left a shallow bowl of fresh water in the cage just to be sure he was getting something. He's still shy about wandering out from hiding, but I have noticed he is coming out more and more. Thanks everyone for reassuring me he was alright! <3

I realise that this is a very old thread but I am experiencing the same thing. I have 2 rats and they are complete opposite. 1 just doesn't come out of his house while the other explores. I have only had them 2 days though.

Young ones have to get used to their new surroundings. They will sleep a lot the first few days but as long as they're eating, grooming and you've checked them for respiratory sounds, checked their teeth are ok and their eyes are bright, there's nothing to worry about. Babies sleep a lot, because they're growing. Plus, rats have individual personalities. Some are shy and want to sleep, some are outgoing etc.

Literally as soon as I posted this typically Snow (my rats name) who was hiding came out and had a run around. Drank some water etc.
He is a lot more nervous than Galaxy (my other rat) and will probably take more time to tame.
I am relieved.
Thank you for replying so quickly

They just have to get used to their new digs and they also are still babies and babies sleep whenever they want. LOL. It's good that you don't wake them when they are sleeping.

Back