Worried rat momma..

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Staff member
So I have a young rattie(not even a year yet) and she is normally my psychotic bundle of energy but lately she seems slower than usual ? It's hard to explain but normally she comes to the bars and runs around like crazy climbing the bars and everything The past two or three days she hasn't really climbed the cage door and isn't engaging in play like normal .. It may be nothing but I've always been a worry wart when it comes to my animals heh..

Is she eating, drinking, pooping and peeing like normal? Can you hold her sides to your ear (we call it ratphoning) to listen to her lungs? Any sounds and she may be brewing a respiratory infection.

She is eating drinking peeing and pooping normal. She doesn't sound like she is struggling and she has been treated for a respiratory infection before and an abscess.

I'll post a video when I get home but she is squirmy still.. She doesn't seem to be in pain at all just.. Slowler.?

So I'm finally home and I'll get the video link here once it's done uploading in the video you'll see another thing that is slightly concerning Iris my blue almost full self (she has a small white stripe on her belly) will attack any other rats that comes near her but only right after I refill the bowl.... If she's walking and bumps into another rattie she will attack then too.. You can also see lil Mazu and how she's doing : D (and yes I'm aware the cage needs a clean I'll get on it soon. .3.)

Last edited:
So... Any ideas.? I don't mean to be all pushy and things.. I'm just worried .

Zirna looks healthy and happy. Depending on the age, rats also slow down with age. I have male rats , so I can't say for sure with females, but my baby males were balls of energy and have just started slowing down. Not to the stage of an old rat, since they still chase each other and play, but they aren't as energetic as when I got them. As lilspaze mentioned, she may have sprained her foot and is just taking it easy. One of my babies ended up doing this and he was fine after about a week and was back to zooming through the cage and picking on his brothers.
As for Iris, I'd recommend setting up multiple food and water stations. Rats can be possessive of food and water and having multiple bowls of food, water, and multiple water bottles, minimizes any aggression or possessiveness. If I see a rat is picking on others or pushing them away from one of the food bowls, I'll move them to another feeding station. I have three food bowl stations, two water bottle stations, and a big pool with rocks.

Back