Will this pairing produce MC?

Discussion in 'Ratshack Forum Support & Comments' started by FairlyRats, Mar 19, 2016.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 19, 2016 #1

FairlyRats

FairlyRats

FairlyRats

I apologize for posting this, I was not aware this site was against breeders. ✌️

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Mar 20, 2016 #2

hopefloats

hopefloats

hopefloats

Not active. Staff Member

You may want to take this elsewhere. We are all rescues and we are against culling or breeding. You should be ashamed of yourself for killing something YOU created. There are so many rats in need of rescue and you carelessly breed and CULL? Have you lost your marbles? If you have to ask this, then you need more experience, if you have to CULL any of them then you need to stop doing what you are doing. Because you are screwing up by having to cull them.

I am very saddened with all the rats i see in my rescue alone that you would be as selfish and so self centered to not see the fight we are doing daily to prevent people from creating more rats. You should look into a hobby that does not require you to kill them off after you screw up. You really need to take a long look at your life, yourself and the harm you are creating. Breeding rats is uncalled for.

Petunia likes this.
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #3

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Hopefloats said it best.

Petunia likes this.
  4. Mar 20, 2016 #4

glitchiq

glitchiq

glitchiq

Hopefloats has already commented, and I agree. This forum is VERY rescue-oriented; most people on here rescue and rehome rats/own rescued rats. My two boys are both rescues. Most of us (I would say ALL of us) are against breeding because when we look into the faces of our ratties, we see the rescues that we love, but we also imagine how many more like them there must be out there because someone bred more rats when the world already has so many that need good homes. We imagine what would have happened to them had we not rescued them. It's a sad thing to think about, especially when I have my boys playing in their cage right next to me. It breaks my heart to think about the SEVEN siblings and momma of theirs that I had to leave behind at the rescue because I promised myself I'd leave with only two.

In my eyes, and I would say the eyes of many members on this forum, breeding rats isn't the best practice. Not when there are already thousands of listings on PetFinder, not when there are even more listed on places like Craigslist or Kijiji. Why do we need more rats? Why wouldn't we encourage people looking for friendly pet rats to go scroll through PetFinder for a SECOND? Because they're rescues? I see entire litters of baby rats on PetFinder all the time. "Oops" litters that a gracious rescue took on.

But culling them? You aren't even prepared to try and offer the ones who don't measure up to your standards a happy life? We may not AGREE with breeding in general, but we know the difference between good and bad breeders. Good breeders take into account the fact that their rats could have anywhere up to 15 babies. They line up homes for all of the babies beforehand, and if they can't, they settle for the fact that they might have to keep and raise EACH and every one of those babies if they can't find homes. They don't sell the ones they don't want as feeders, and they don't cull. It's irresponsible to bring something into this world without holding yourself accountable for it. The toll it takes on a momma rat to have a litter - I can't imagine. To put her through that as a "test"? To take her babies, "prepared to cull"? Oh my goodness. You don't do that with dogs, cats, horses, you name it; you don't do that with rats.

So please, if we made you angry or upset with us and you decide to leave this forum and never come back, at least take this away: I think we'd all rather see you dump the babies you're "prepared to cull" at a rescue than take their lives away because they have nothing to offer your line.

Petunia and hopefloats like this.