Wild rats gitting in house

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsmrhayner

What's the best way to handle wild rats? My friend has wild rats getting in and her rats are now fighting each other as well what things can she do?

I mean this with no sarcasm whatsoever ever, call an Externinator. Those wild rats pose more than one risk to pets and people. They have got to go. There are Externinator’s that, despite their title, will use live traps if that is a concern.

Please do NOT call an exterminator!!!! Not only is that animals cruelty but it also does not work long term.
(Btw, wild rats etc are often pets that have been thrown away or their offspring)

"Killing is neither a humane, long-term effective, or economically sensible solution to problems with mice and rats. As with most problems with animals in buildings, remember that unless proper exclusion, habitat management, and sanitary measures are taken, it probably won’t be long before new animals move in to take advantage of the available habitat."

Find how they are getting in and fix it, then live trap any inside the house and put them outside close by
They need to stay in their territory and need to stay in their family group - or they will probably die.

Make sure all food in the home is kept in sealed containers, and garbage inside and outside does not attract them, use products that repel rats.

If her rats are not fixed, she might consider it if she has access to a vet that has the knowledge and experience to do it safely - they may be attracted by her rats ...... and make sure the wild rats do not have access to her rats and can not get into their cage .......
Many people have rescued or helped wild mice and wild rats ...... and many have raised and kept orphaned wild babies as pets as orphans can not be released or they will die.
As for risks - terrified cornered or starving animals may fight/attack and rodents chew wires etc ........ most rodents pose little risk otherwise

Some Information:
https://www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/living-harmony-wildlife/house-mice/
https://www.mspca.org/animal_protection/about-rats-and-mice/
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/rats-in-your-engine--here-s-how-to-fight-back-125146167.html

Exterminators can live trap for you. They do not have to kill the rats.

Many exterminators say they will live trap but people have discovered that the ones they hired lied or live trapped and then killed them.
If there are some exterminators that actually do live trap and release, the exterminators would likely dump the rats quite far away - thus killing them by splitting up the family and dumping them in unfamiliar territory ,,,,, which if were a place where there was food, shelter, water etc then it would already contain other rats who would attack and kill the new ones invading their territory :( ......... and it would solve nothing because new rats would move into the home because of the same reasons the other rats moved in

There are things you can purchase that will drive small rodents out of the home because of sound ...... if she put her rats somewhere else for several days, maybe something like that would convince them to leave (hopefully taking infants and newborn baby rats with them), and then she could fix the places where they are getting in, change the things that are attracting the rats, etc and bring her rats home.

Jorats and her family had a shed in their yard containing lots of straw where they put out water and food so that wild mice had a good place to live and did not come into their home ....... a good idea imo for people able to do this

[emoji35] if I found out they lied about something like that I would make the biggest effing stink. They would get bad reviews on every forum I could find AND I would call the BBB and get my money back for services not rendered.

The biggest thing, as stated above, is making their home uninhabitable. Plug up the holes, get rid of any food or trash sitting out they can get to.

We had mice issues once and called Skedaddle. They are the only humane critter control. They have lots of research to back up their methods. They block every single hole in your home, they add no entry doors to the attic and add a cleanser that wipes away all rodent smell from the attic as well. I checked on their MSDS and it is are completely safe. But it cost quite a bit. He told us the only way is to block entry. Clean up any garbage around your home and even any fresh water sources. The ones in your home, you need to live trap them and release miles from your home.

We had mice issues once and called Skedaddle. They are the only humane critter control. They have lots of research to back up their methods. They block every single hole in your home, they add no entry doors to the attic and add a cleanser that wipes away all rodent smell from the attic as well. I checked on their MSDS and it is are completely safe. But it cost quite a bit. He told us the only way is to block entry. Clean up any garbage around your home and even any fresh water sources. The ones in your home, you need to live trap them and release miles from your home.

Sounds great ... except from what I have read, releasing miles from their home will pretty much ensure their deaths as it will break up their family groups and take them out of their territory, into the territory of other animals where they may not find food, water , shelter and will be killed by others defending their territory

Unfortunately, that's true SQ. Each time you displace a wild animal, you are risking it's life. Once, we set up a little comfort station in our old shed. We added hay, food and water. The mice didn't come back into our home, they stayed for a short time in the shed and then moved on.

Unfortunately, that's true SQ. Each time you displace a wild animal, you are risking it's life. Once, we set up a little comfort station in our old shed. We added hay, food and water. The mice didn't come back into our home, they stayed for a short time in the shed and then moved on.

That sounds like the absolutely best solution for anyone in the position to do it. :)
What you and your family did was so wonderful and unusual, I wish there was a thread on this with info and pictures, if you have any

That sounds like the absolutely best solution for anyone in the position to do it. :)
What you and your family did was so wonderful and unusual, I wish there was a thread on this with info and pictures, if you have any

hint hint hint (I miss that poke with a stick gif) LOL

Back