Wild rat population

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kye

Staff member
I had ZERO idea of where to put this... We have a HUGE rat population next to our chicken coop and we just can't seem to keep them out. It's becoming a bit of a problem with our birds and we don't want to kill them... Any advice on how to drive them a bit away.? We don't mind them hanging around but the population is rapidly growing and I saw a very large male in front of our coop, he was about the size of a wild bunny so that alone is a bit concerning for the birds. So basically- is there a humane way to drive them a bit away.?

It's sadly getting to the point that if we can't drive them a bit away we'll have no choice but to 'thin the herd' so to speak... I don't want to by any means but if I don't find a way to drive them away we'll have no choice.

Are you sure they are wild and not feral or abandoned pet rats?
Can you post any pictures?

You might want to message Andrea Davis ( Broken Shovels Farm Sanctuary) or if you send me your email I can ask her to email you. She runs a farm animal sanctuary and had a problem with a growing wild rat population in her barns so she used birth control to gradually reduce the numbers.

The thing is that unless you can do something about what is attracting the rats, if they go away then other rats will just come to fill the void. I assume that they are attracted by the food. Animals taken outside of their territory will not know where to find shelter, food, etc and may be separated from their family group …. so they will die …. trapping also often means that nursing babies or young rats become orphans and die

Some people that have had wild rats or mice on their property have set up a shed, put bales of straw (not hay) in it for warmth and provided the animals with food and water daily. This kept them out of their house and if combined with birth control, then the numbers gradually decreased.

https://www.humanegardener.com/agai...vKd2Vc_KYysajINW6lHjIdr5lKMnlM_mCDUPAFRQw3sxQ

Back