Wild rat + domesticated rat

Discussion in 'Ratshack Forum Support & Comments' started by Kai, Oct 15, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Oct 15, 2018 #1

Kai

Kai

Kai

I am currently trying to save a very young wild rat that was brought to me by my cat. I don’t know if he will make it, but if he does I will likely have to keep him as there are no rescues on my area and he seems to have some mobility issues. If he survives can I put him with a domestic rat his age and have it be safe? He is about a week old, and I have had him since he was 1-2 days old.

2. Oct 15, 2018 #2

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

Wow, that's a great thing of you to do! I feel like if he's survived this long, his chances of surviving are pretty good. Just out of curiosity, what have you been feeding him? He should ideally be quarantined for a few weeks before being introduced to another rat, and another rat should be 5 or 6 weeks old before leaving it's mother, so the wild one may be alone for a while. By then, you should be able to tell their genders to make sure that they can stay together anyway. I think it should be safe for them to be together after quarantine considering he was brought up as a domestic rat. Is there any way that you could find a nursing mother/pregnant rat and add him to the litter? Do you have any pictures?

3. Oct 15, 2018 #3

Kai

Kai

Kai

I have been feeding him goat’s milk esbilac, and I have some kitten milk replacement on hand because I was told his his stool gets runny that that would help.

4. Oct 15, 2018 #4

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

It sounds like it's working well so that's awesome!

5. Oct 16, 2018 #5

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

yes he can live with same sex domestic rats

babies that young rarely survive, they often die after 5 days to a week ….. his best chance is if you find and buy a nursing mama pet rat and litter, take mama out, make him smell like the babies, mix him into the litter and put mama back

Here is some impt info please read the info I copied and posted on this link https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/infant-rat-uri-clicking.35697/#post-496055

Also for more infop on orphans and to follow the story of another rescued wild baby see: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

I hope the baby makes it

Kai likes this.