Why rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schpier

I have had rat friends for many years after having first met them as a child.
Now I have stopped because I can no longer cope with the grief and loss when they inevitably die so soon and usually with from cancer

Please help me to understand how other members deal with that reality ! I would like to be able to continue my mission of caring for those precious beings

Many people who have had rats for years need to take a break.
The heart ache eventually becomes more then one can bear
Most of the very experienced rat owners involved in rat rescue that were members of this forum, have taken a break from rats over the last few years and are no longer here ……. some plan to become involved in rat rescue again in the future, others don't
Some people have gotten animals with longer life spans, and others have had other pets with longer lifespans while owning rats

I have been involved in rat rescue for approx. 14 years ……. when a rat dies it hurts so very much but then I find out about another rat in need of help and I reach out in honor of my rat's memory
It has been about 14.5 years and once the present rescues have passed away, I think I will be done
because I need a break from this ……. everyone involved in animal rescue gets burned out and needs to recharge

Jorats, the founder of this forum has taken a break from owning rats for awhile, but she continues to help rats in other ways

For me it's a simple question. Can I not have them in my life? I rescued for many many years and now I only occasionally take in rats but prefer if they are special needs, older or sick as I'm mostly a hospice rescue right now. For me the short lives are offset by how bright their light shines while they are alive. Rats live day by day, and even the most neglected rat can feel peace in a short time, so even when I take in oldies/sickies that don't live long, I know they have known love and care at the end.

Back