Why can't they see?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Allison

I've read a few books and a few things in the internet about rats and took notes, trying to be a good rat mom. Tonight while going over my notes I seen that baby rats open their eyes at about 10 days old. Well, Sweet Pea's 14 days old babies have not opened their eyes yet. They are growing like crazy and have a good slick and shiny coat. But their eyes are still closed. Is there cause to be alarmed? Or are my notes on this wrong (please tell me this is so).

They should open their eyes after 2 weeks. Give them another day or 2 and their eyes will be open and they'll start exploring the cage.

There's a range of when eyes open, from 12 days to as long as 17 days for stragglers. Often depends on age of mom, size of little etc. :) As long as they are healthy and growing they should be fine. I've never had one of my rescue litters start opening their eyes at 10 days though.

As others said, babies do not always open their eyes at 10 days. I have had rescue babies that opened their eyes at 9 days, 10 days, or later …. regardless of when they ment developmental milestones, they grew up healthy

When I woke up today and went to feed mom I picked up a baby and it's eyes were opened. (So it took them 16 days.) Later in the day I went to go check on them and they were out and about exploring their nursery, it was so cute. This evening I took mom and half of the babies (the solid ones) out to play, they were so adorable. Tomorrow will be the hooded ones turn out in the play pen. I'm really enjoying this.

Back