Why can't I find a Litter that I like?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totaly forgot to look too. I'm not out of bedding yet, and usually I don't stock up so I haven't even thought of it.

Maybe this weekend? LOL

Can anyone post pics of the woodstove pellets they've used? I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Well, I'm a bit late coming to this thread, but I thought I'd share. :) I insist on a scoopable litter 'cause it makes cleaning the boxes easy and the litter lasts a loong time that way.

My newest find that I'm using is called PaPurr, and it is a litter that looks a lot like clay litter but is made of (what else?) paper. It has kind of a perfumey smell to it at first, but nothing that has caused any issues. Previously I was using walnut shell litter, which I loved, but the stores near me stopped carrying it in large bags. Before that was Swheat Scoop, which was also fantastic, but apparently tasted delicious (doh).

So, ummm, PaPurr. Great if you use a litter box exclusively. That was the point of that post, I believe. :lol:

Where do you get your ParPurr? I'm going to look for something like it or similar. I use small kitty litter pans now so it takes up a lot of litter, it would be great to scoop it. My absolute favourite was Swheat Scoops, and like yours, my rats thought it was delicious. :wrong:

PaPurr is made by a company called Kadant GranTek, and I buy it at Petsmart in the US. Here is the company's website and info on the litter. It's also flushable, which is cool.

And here is a picture! (My parents will be proud to know that I borrowed their Digital Rebel to take pictures of rat poop)

Mandy - where do you buy it from? I've always wanted to try it with my mice. I'd try it with the rats, but I can just see it now be flunging from every angle out of the cage :roll:

Jorats said:
Oooh, looks good! (the litter, not the poop)
Haha! Well, I thought it'd be good to have a picture of how it works with poop! :lol:

SoA said:
Mandy - where do you buy it from? I've always wanted to try it with my mice. I'd try it with the rats, but I can just see it now be flunging from every angle out of the cage :roll:

Petsmart. :) I guess I'm lucky -- my rats are surprisingly good about keeping the litter in the litterbox, lol.

I checked out the stove pellets. Unfortunately mine are made with pine and white spruce. They're from Alberta. It says on the bag not for human or animal consumption. The funny thing is it's only in French for the animal warning. I'm returning my bag to Home Depot. :cry:

mandycoot said:
And here is a picture! (My parents will be proud to know that I borrowed their Digital Rebel to take pictures of rat poop)

next time make your focal points the poop :lol:
you're focusing on the corner... i got a canon 30D about 2 weeks ago though so i'm still a newbie, so chances are you know better :p

Umm, well actually, the litter box that was the least nasty and embarrassing to photograph was in Armand and Magnus' cage. They are biters and Armand will make flying leaps to attack you, so I just quickly stuck my hand in with the camera, aimed, and fired! That's the picture I got. :lol:

Yeah, I have no idea how to use the fancy settings on that camera. :roll:

I got some of the wood pellets from Home Depot. It doesn't smell that much after it has been out for a couple of hours but I do find it dusty. I am not sure it is good for the girls. They aren't sneezing much.

Ann

Has anyone mentioned Mountain Cat litter yet? I've had my girls on it for over a year now and it is absolutely fantastic with the odour control, and it's pretty much dust free. They're pellets of wood fibre.

Annnd then I had to switch to towels because of the FN.

I have to order it through the clinic, I'd imagine most vets would carry it as it's recommended for declawed cats or something of the sort, but perhaps I'm too optimistic thinking that!

Back