Why and how did you start keeping rats?

Discussion in 'General Rat Chat & Photos' started by SQ, Jul 23, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Jul 23, 2019 #1

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

There was a similar post in 2008 and I thought having a new one would be a great idea :)

2. Sep 4, 2019 #2

Crosscutter

Crosscutter

Crosscutter

My daughter wanted pet rats but her mom said "sure as long as they are not here". Well that didnt fly with me so i said she could keep them at my house. We started in Nov 2018 with 3 pew girls. Obviously they ended up being my ratties as she couldnt see them unless she was here with me. Our rattie has grown quite a bit since then.

SQ likes this.
  3. Sep 4, 2019 #3

RoyalDragons

RoyalDragons

RoyalDragons

Oddly enough I had been looking up Ferret care videos -as I really wanted some; still do- and in the recommended list was one about Rats so I decided to click on it. Until that point I'd never really thought of Rats as pets, didn't see them as pests either though, so I found it interesting. I watched more Rat videos then decided I wanted a pair. Eventually, it slowly slipped my mind till I came back to both Ferrets and Rats before finally getting my first trio about a year(?) later. Very glad I did, these crazy monkeys are some of my favourite creatures :D

SQ likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2019 #4

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Back in 2001, I wanted something different as a pet. I wanted a small critter in a cage but definitely not hamsters. I did some research for about a year and finally on my birthday in January of 2002, I had my first two boys. For the next 15 years, I rescued, fostered, transported hundreds of rats. But it had to come to an end, my vet fund was depleted but one day, I'll have them again. I miss them so much.