White vaginal discharge

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie

One of my girls, Isabelle, is having a small amount of white vaginal discharge. I checked it out, smell-wise, and it's got no odour to it. There's only a small amount of it coming out once in a while. Just noticed it today. My plan is to wait and see another day then if it persists for more than 3 days or gets worse within a day, I'm taking her to my vet.

Anyone else had any other experience with this kind of thing?

P.S. That's her in my avatar, back when she was only a month old, she's now 6 months old.

Is she spayed? If she's not and you can afford to have her spayed, even if you don't see any more discharge, I would strongly encourage it. It could be a sign of infection or the early warning sign of a uterine tumour. Especially because this is occurring when she is so young it is worrisome. I would at least call the vet and ask them if it warrants an exam... vaginal discharge in rats is not normal and you may not always find it if she has it, so waiting to see if you encounter it again isn't the most scientific approach.

victoria said:
Is she spayed? If she's not and you can afford to have her spayed, even if you don't see any more discharge, I would strongly encourage it. It could be a sign of infection or the early warning sign of a uterine tumour. Especially because this is occurring when she is so young it is worrisome. I would at least call the vet and ask them if it warrants an exam... vaginal discharge in rats is not normal and you may not always find it if she has it, so waiting to see if you encounter it again isn't the most scientific approach.
She's intact. I'm not going to wait to encounter it again, it hasn't left. Just found it today. If it gets worse, or if it stays for more than 3 days, I'm taking her to the vet for sure by then, if it dissapears, I'm going to go when my next unemployment cheque comes. I am jobless, as of now. Economically, calling the vet would make sense, it's free as far as I know. That's an idea, :). Thanks.

It's definitely some form of infection of the uterus and if she was spayed it would be an infection of the stump. These things can take a long long time to clear. She'll definitely need meds. I've had it happen a few times on my girls. One girl, took 3 months. If the vet is unsure which meds to use, Baytril would be good but Clavamox would be better in my opinion.

Back