Which probiotic for diarrhea from antibiotics?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmn34

The ratguide website says that antibiotics such as amoxicillin and doxycycline can cause diarrhea.

It goes on to say this can be treated with a probiotic.

She also says: In the event loose stools/diarrhea can not be controlled with probiotics contact veterinarian immediately to reduce antibiotic dose.

What does that mean? How do I know if I am "controlling" the stools?!? At what point should the dose be reduced?

Also, what kind should I give?
Are the pills from the pharmacy section, meant for humans OK?
Does Activia yogurt have anywhere near a sufficient amount?
Can you overdose?

I ordered some Bene-Bac as she recommended but while I'm waiting on it I was hoping to get some info on other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Acidophilus from a health store is good stuff. There's plenty of probiotics you can buy for yourself just make sure it's in capsule/power form Sprinkle a little in food. In a pinch you can use yogurt with probiotics.
I've never had to use probiotics with baytril or doxy. I have had to with amoxicilin, clavamox etc as the antibiotic kills all bacteria good and bad (including the good gut flora in the digestive system).

Back