The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going away for a couple weeks and need to find a rat-sitter. I do not know where to look nor what to do. In the past, my housemates have looked after my boys while I was away and, in exchange, I bought them a nice dinner -- or something similarly casual. That option is not available this time and I'm at a loss for what to do.

What do you do with your rats when you go out of town? Where do/did you find sitters? I'm just looking for advice at this time. Thank you in advance :)

ask on pet owner sites in your area for the name of a good, reliable pet sitter.
Look at pet sitting ads on Kijiji etc - there may be businesses with insurance and recommendations.
Ask your vet if they have any recommendations.

Then you will need to see a criminal record check, make sure the person is has the knowledge etc t care for pet rats, check their references etc

good luck

Do you have any neighbors who may have a teenager who wants to make a couple bucks, and new fur friends? May be a good opportunity to get to know people around you, and spread the love and joy of rats. If so, introduce them to your bunch at least a couple weeks early, and let them get to know each other, and become comfortable. Teach the person how to handle them, and what to do in different situations. Leave an instruction sheet for them. I recently went out of town for a week, and had my mom come over and play with my groups, and I showed her what to do for my mice and rabbit as well. Then I left instructions above each set of critters. I'll attach the pics of I can.

Edit: fruit loops are a super occasional treat only for when someone new comes in. That way it's something they usually don't get from me, and something they love, so they equate new people with a super special treat. I also left super special trinkets for her to give my rats.

Attachments

• BAA852B6-F50B-47DE-90E5-2FA22737DEC3.jpeg
    BAA852B6-F50B-47DE-90E5-2FA22737DEC3.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 198
  • A187C4B2-D34D-45C8-BD23-B1A456E2617D.jpeg
    A187C4B2-D34D-45C8-BD23-B1A456E2617D.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 190
  • ECFF818B-1297-45BF-A509-2941DD875BCF.jpeg
    ECFF818B-1297-45BF-A509-2941DD875BCF.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 213
Our veterinarian offers boarding for our rats. You can bring their own cage or use theirs. The vet techs take them out several times throughout the day. I have not used them as I have a few friends close by that love the opportunity to spend extra time with my girls. Maybe check to see if your vet offers the same?

Back